Between The Rivers / Land Between the lakes

ADHD_Outdoors

Mar 31, 2022
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What I'd give to be able to MD this area! My great-grandmother's family were removed from Between the Rivers (forced to either sell or forfiet their land, they sold) near Model, TN in the 60s. This time last year my wife and I were at Land Between the lakes, standing on the ancestral home place, so deeply wanting to look and find something lost by my family decades before. Further, my 4-g-grandfather was Daniel Vinson who lived on and worked the Homeplace 1850s Farm. We toured this site as well.

If you're ever there, the home place across from the SE corner of the south bison range, bordered on th esouth by a forest road, was owned by the Askews; my folks. Not many years ago the chimney stood but is now gone. This is just north of The great Western Furnace. The Homeplace 1850s farm is a very interesting stop to make. Maybe we'll go back soon. I hope to.
1649428495121.png
1649428577673.png
1649428727439.png

Public sentinemnt for the TVA Homeplace Independence Day celebration Southern unit of LBL

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I'd give to be able to MD this area! My great-grandmother's family were removed from Between the Rivers (forced to either sell or forfiet their land, they sold) near Model, TN in the 60s. This time last year my wife and I were at Land Between the lakes, standing on the ancestral home place, so deeply wanting to look and find something lost by my family decades before. Further, my 4-g-grandfather was Daniel Vinson who lived on and worked the Homeplace 1850s Farm. We toured this site as well.

If you're ever there, the home place across from the SE corner of the south bison range, bordered on th esouth by a forest road, was owned by the Askews; my folks. Not many years ago the chimney stood but is now gone. This is just north of The great Western Furnace. The Homeplace 1850s farm is a very interesting stop to make. Maybe we'll go back soon. I hope to.
View attachment 2019852 View attachment 2019853 View attachment 2019854
Public sentinemnt for the TVA Homeplace Independence Day celebration Southern unit of LBL
Thanks for sharing your family history. TVA brought a lot of progress but had some very nefarious actions taking people's property.
Some friends of mine had a hundred plus acre farm on the Little Tennessee River. TVA took their whole farm along with several others even though the lake only covered, including the flood plain, a couple of acres when Tellico Dam was flooded. TVA then sold that property to a developer for a huge profit. AND some of the local political people involved in this deal got to keep some property on the lake. Infuriating.

OP
OP
ADHD_Outdoors

ADHD_Outdoors

Mar 31, 2022
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for sharing your family history. TVA brought a lot of progress but had some very nefarious actions taking people's property.
Some friends of mine had a hundred plus acre farm on the Little Tennessee River. TVA took their whole farm along with several others even though the lake only covered, including the flood plain, a couple of acres when Tellico Dam was flooded. TVA then sold that property to a developer for a huge profit. AND some of the local political people involved in this deal got to keep some property on the lake. Infuriating.
Many still believe "they" are waiting on the last generation to die so land within the lakes can be sold. I don't know if that's true or not but I typically don't trust big gov or big money.

Regardless, think of the finds that are there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread