πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1582658415.587530.jpg
I get a little bit of poison ivy every year diggin in the old woods, but usually just the size of a dime. This one started tiny about 2 weeks ago, grew to a 2”x2” field of blisters, went dormant for a week, then quadrupled overnight. I marked the edges with Sharpie a couple days ago to see if it is still growing. Don’t know, but there is a chance my hand will just fall off like a zombie while digging this weekend...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1582658794.781954.jpg
Made it back to the spot deep in the woods where I found a DB, but could not find a typical homesite, so just pounded the little area and found 5 more buttons. The silver concave is sort of cool.

Found another site nearby at this park, not as old.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1582658911.324519.jpg
Best find was this CW general staff cuff button.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1582658944.659914.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1582658952.427613.jpg
Weird ring in the shank, Steve thought this was how they secured spare buttons.
The crusty token is interesting. (Pic from web, but mine has Martin Van Buren info on the other side)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1582659029.699355.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1582659043.033798.jpg
I have 3 kids and I doubt they log 2 miles in a day in reality, but maybe 7.5 miles virtually...

Good luck out there ... and watch out for those roots!

Upvote 25

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Poison ivy is part of the game
Nice finds

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know what the 3 items are to the right of the button in the second pic? I’ve found those before.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thad, here is the button I dug in Montana with the ring on the shank.
View attachment 1805392 View attachment 1805393

This got me curious as to the purpose of the slip ring, so I posted it on the American Military Buttons Facebook group and here are some of the responses:

"There were a few reasons for the rings. I've seen them attached this way on period headgear as well as a period vest lined with Mississippi "I's" all attached via individual ringlets. I've also seen rings like this dug sporting multiple buttons. Many uses, but the main purpose was to eliminate sewing and allowing buttons to be removed (cleaning) or exchanged out"

"To properly clean a uniform you needed to remove the buttons first then sew them back on afterwards. On Coles Island SC my digging buddy and I found 28 navel buttons (cuff and tunic/vest size) in a 3' area. All had rings in them"

"Called bachelor rings. They were used instead of sewing the buttons on.
I dug several eagle C coat buttons with bachelor rings in an 1863 camp. I've also dug several vests and cuffs with them, in different areas, over the years"

This is the most definitive explanation I have seen for these rings. Thank you for posting that info!

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone know what the 3 items are to the right of the button in the second pic? I’ve found those before.

They are reeds for musical old instruments, squeezebox style and others. Ring up nice and high, but pretty common at old sites.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds, congrats! :occasion14:

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
yup, dawn and bleach. Bleach is kind of toxic but works if the blisters are open

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Jewelweed (touch-me-not) that grows in wet areas, has orange, trumpet-shaped flowers and ripe seeds that explode when touched can be crushed and the sap rubbed over the poison ivy infected skin to reduce itching and sooth. Old remedy.

Haldean

Feb 11, 2019
Burlington NC
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where were you and your recommendation when I had my bout with poison oak? :BangHead: I didn't realize the roots were a source either until after I got hit and did some research. I knew enough to avoid the plant's leaves, but, the roots didn't occur to me. Your gloves, shoes, and clothing can reinfect you also until you thoroughly wash them. They make a special body wash that's supposed to keep it from spreading and help ease the itch, but, it's expensive......like almost $40 for a tiny tube good for only a handful of applications. If mushrooms will get the job done, that will be a lot cheaper for sure. :icon_thumleft:

Since poison Ivy oil is what is doing the dirty work. Dishwashing detergent is good to get it off since it is a degreaser. Think about how tough it is to wash off burnt motor oil. Well poison ivy oil is just as difficult only you can't see it. Good luck with it.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel your pain..I got poison ivy last year at my wife's family reunion in Pennsylvania in the summer while metal detecting the yard of an old 1920's mansion. Between poison ivy and poison oak I would say poison oak is a little worse now that I've had both.

Nice finds, in a week to 10 days the poison ivy will be gone but you'll still have the buttons.

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had poison ivy last month too! Various places on my body but one finger on my right hand got it the worst. I likely hit an root of a poison ivy vine that goes up an old tree.

I think every time I got poison ivy, the target I was chasing wasn't worth the trade off πŸ˜‚

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think every time I got poison ivy, the target I was chasing wasn't worth the trade off πŸ˜‚[/QUOTE]

As miserable as poison ivy/oak can be I would gladly trade off 10 days of really bad itching to dig up $10.00 or $5.00 dollar gold coin...8-)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain..I got poison ivy last year at my wife's family reunion in Pennsylvania in the summer while metal detecting the yard of an old 1920's mansion. Between poison ivy and poison oak I would say poison oak is a little worse now that I've had both.

Nice finds, in a week to 10 days the poison ivy will be gone but you'll still have the buttons.

Mine lasted a full 3 weeks! Worst itching and rash I've ever had....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread