gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally dislike self check-out!! First of all it takes away jobs, but mostly it irks me that if I use self check-out I am basically working for free when the check-out person at the open aisle next to the self check-out machine is making 15-20 dollars an hour. Seems to me I oughta get paid the same scale for my time, they could easily track the time I spend doing the self check-out and deduct the salary rate from my bill every time I hit an hour spent at their machine. Not to mention the problems associated with these machines weighing your bag, stopping when the machine thinks something is wrong, and raising the frustration level of the customer.

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm not the only one who dislikes these. They're everywhere, though. And I bagged my own even in The Beforetimes; got tired of eggs on the bottom, cans on top.

PickTime

Jun 17, 2022
FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
At first I too was reluctant, but that changed over a year ago. The positives are it’s much quicker, I rarely have to wait in a line, my items are bagged the way I prefer, if I have a problem or question the attendant is usually readily available. While I don’t like the loss of a few cashier jobs, in my opinion, the training of cashiers has been subpar for some time at most places where self checkout is offered. Life is about adapting to change and that is what I chose to do.
I can only hope that in some way the company’s savings is reflected in the price of their products. Of course many people might be cynical of such a position, but if the company is in the practice of gouging their customers, then they were already doing so anyway.

Last edited:

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't like it don't use it. Either suck. You often end up waiting in line due to a slow employee or customers whom are imbeciles. I personally don't like dealing with people so self check out much less of that. Doesn't take much intelligence to use the darn thing. But like I said each has it's pros and cons to each their own. Me personally I don't much like people so self check out it is for me.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I absolutely refuse to use them. When presented with no other option I drop my items and go else where.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep ! haven't had to make that choice yet.... but would.
I spent a good amount of wasted time in an isle
that was the Only One Available & The Persons around me, Including the Checkout Girl all agreed Loudly :laughing7: . If thy don't have an option to have a Check out Girl, They will lose Business.
most seniors have learned enough over the years :coffee2:

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yah, and when they only have these machines there will be no more checking out the checkout girl!

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At first I too was reluctant, but that changed over a year ago. The positives are it’s much quicker, I rarely have to wait in a line, my items are bagged the way I prefer, if I have a problem or question the attendant is usually readily available. While I don’t like the loss of a few cashier jobs, in my opinion, the training of cashiers has been subpar for some time at most places where self checkout is offered. Life is about adapting to change and that is what I chose to do.
I can only hope that in some way the company’s savings is reflected in the price of their products. Of course many people might be cynical of such a position, but if the company is in the practice of gouging their customers, then they were already doing so anyway.
Yup. So many of today's checkout workers are less than useless. I get that I'm doing work and not being paid but I also get out of the store faster and don't get frustrated over the lazy, shiftless way that a lot of checkers operate. I gladly scan my own items when I can.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not promoting this, but you could pick Door #3 and fill-up your cart and just walk right out of the store. They don't stop anybody for doing that!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rather do the self check out.
Always bagged my own, as I have bags for certain things.
Interaction with most employees gripping about something I don't care about, is not a top list item.
Over worked, under paid, no breaks, dealing with sick people, had to come in sick. Bla, bla, bla

PickTime

Jun 17, 2022
FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
I had an occasion where I was checking 4 identical items, so I just used one of the products and scanned it 4 times then placed all in the bag. Then went on scanning my other items. Before I finished, the attendant was sent over, quite sure by an overhead camera viewer, to check that those items were properly counted. She was pleasant about it and I understood how it could happen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread