xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The past week or so has been pretty uneventful but I tried. Listen to my story it could save your life. Perhaps this is too dramatic but it was a surprise to me:

Hopefully we all know by now that it's tick season. The woods spot I always go to is home to deer so I would assume there are deer ticks there. I've probably been there 40 times since August and have not ever found even 1 tick. I stepped into the woods and had not even brushed a plant and there was a tick on my hand. A deer tick! It must have parachuted out of a tree or something. I got the little bugger off me. I kept a pretty good eye on my clothes and through out the hunt I found 6 ticks on me. I always tuck my pants into my socks and try to always tuck in my shirt. I found plenty of targets but nothing worth mentioning... I pretty much find an ox shoe every time I go here so I think I found one of them. My philosophy is that as long as there are targets there could be something there. After a fruitless couple hrs I went home. My wife is pretty scared that I will get lyme disease or bring a tick into the house. We have a strict protocol: take off all clothes, put them in a garbage bag, look at naked body, take shower. I stuck by it and over the next day or two my skin was crawling itchy... I truly think it was triggered by my mind after having the ticks on me. Well two days later my wife was cleaning the tub and found a dead deer tick in there. It had certainly hitchhiked on me. I was shocked that I had missed it. My rationale is that it couldn't have bitten me or lodged in me and probably got washed off by the water before it had a chance to bite. That was a close call!

Next hunt was with the silver bandit. He had a new spot to try. It was an old farm field turned woodland that had been clear cut for development. Much of the site was crisscrossed with 2 foot deep 3 foot wide tire tracks and tree stumps. Not ideal conditions but we tried anyway. He found a shoe buckle frame from the 1700's and a shield nickel. I was optimistic but it was really a hard spot to swing. In my couple years of detecting probably the hardest spot I've ever tried to detect. After awhile we gave up and parted ways. I went on to "chase silver" where I find a spot with some wheats and imagine that there must be silver there for me to find. Ended up finding 5 Wheaties and no silver. Kind of abysmal. It's discouraging but I know there are some good hunts around the bend.

Time to buy some permetherin spray.

Upvote 12

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tick, tick, tick, tick- the clock is ticking and the warnings are still coming PAY ATTENTION

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pulled two off me on Sunday! :BangHead:

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for reminder
At beginning of season I soak a pair of jeans and long sleeve top with spray and put them on and off each time I go into woods and before getting back into truck, i have a hat soaked also, it has worked so far, but who knows you cant be too careful as its a nasty disease and dangerous

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No more forest cruising for me, until a couple of frosts end of year. Too many ticks and parasitic creatures for me to take the risk. Once the warm weather arrives, I stick to mowed or plowed areas, or the beach. Luck to all.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Remember to throw you clothes in the dryer first with high heat(an hour). This will dry out ticks and kill eggs.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep Woods OFF & tea tree oil are very effective.

not just deer ticks are the culprits. a large black legged tick nailed me with anaplasmosis, ehrlichiosis and Lyme with one dinner visit. took 2 days to go from feelin' BLAH!!! to full convulsions & fever of 102.7 and a ride in da AMBALANTZ (sic).

tea tree on boots, use to MD to "mine sweep" the brush and avoid walking under branches---

BUILD THE WALL...... of OFF!! to thwart the unwanted invaders from using you as an EBT account----

as Greg Gutfeld says--- "animals are great"----- except for :BangHead::censored::cussing::angry9::angry5::sad11: ticks

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I REALLY REALLY HATE TICKS!!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tick Warning.jpg

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ticks are so bad around Pittsburgh that kids are getting them playing soccer and almost everyone I know with a dog in our neighborhood has had their dog checked for Lyme and found positive. It is a massive problem that won’t go away until the deer are properly culled.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes be very careful with the ticks. I found one on my side last summer after a hunt. It was three or four days until I found it. Had the wife pull it off with tweezers, but she squeezed it before pulling it out. I developed the bulls eye rash, high fever, chills, similar to the flu but I knew what it was. My Dr put me on heavy duty antibiotics for 3 months and then my cardiologist said I needed to be on them for 6 months total. Not a fun 6 months, but cured the Lyme. I try to check myself every time I get back now from a hunt, but can still be a little paranoid. Be careful out there. Just a side note, the deer are not the problem. That is just the normal host for the deer ticks and when there are no deer the next warm body will do. AKA you or me! And another note, they are not just in the woods. I picked up mine from a neighbors lawn, in the town I live in. He had high grass and that's where I was detecting. Also don't depend on blood work to test positive right away. It can take 2 to 6 weeks for a blood test to show positive. If you have the symptoms, insist on starting the treatment as soon as possible with your doctor.

Last edited:

Popschevy

Greenie
Apr 6, 2019
CT
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used Sevin Insect Killer around the yard last year and it significantly cut down the amount of ticks we pulled off us. Living in Connecticut is brutal with ticks and with the mild winter we had I am expecting a S*ton of ticks this season.

moosescout

Jan 22, 2015
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use permethrin. I get it from Amazon. It’s not a repellant it actually kills the tick. U put it on everything including hat, shoes and so on. I even put it on my md. You can wash your clothes 4-6 times before re-treating. It’s better than lymes disease. Btw there is currently no cure. The dr. Is only treating the symptoms and effects of the disease. It can flare up again sometimes years later. My wife has had it for several years. Permethrin may be harsh but a much better alternative. Also I still use OFF on any exposed skin.
Happy hunting everyone. Play it safe.

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the woods this morning with my detector. While having lunch later at home, a tick crawled out of my shirt onto my hand. :censored:

That's a pretty solid reminder for me to break out the Permethrin from winter storage.

Good hunting,
Bob

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a mixture of 3 parts water, and 1 part Tea Tree Oil, and put it into a spray bottle. I spray myself (especially at the ankle cuffs, and wrist and neck areas) before I go into the woods. I take ticks very seriously, since Lyme Disease killed my wife's best friend 10 years ago. Besides that, they are just a disgusting insect !

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My skin is crawling just reading these responses. Thanks everyone for reading!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup...definitely tick time. Heidi got me up to let her out at 1:00AM, so I went to pee myself. On the way, I felt an itch, and discovered a tick attached on my lower abdomen. Had to go find the tweezers to get it off. Treated with antibiotic. Seems fine this morning, though sorta red.
Jim

tumbleweed35

Greenie
Aug 3, 2018
nwarkansas
Detector(s) used
ace250, etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ticks are a way of life here, the dogs all get the tick pill from the vet and that works real well, I'm thinking of telling the vet I have a 180 lb dog at home and need a pill for him. Seriously though I've had/have lyme, it is no fun and residual effects are pretty annoying. Most of the time I can catch them walking across my body before they attach themselves, and then toss them into my tick jar(a jelly jar half filled with alcohol) and watch to see how long they can swim. By the end of the season there is usually a couple hundred ticks preserved in the jar. I think the best defense against ticks and the diseases they carry is be vigilent and catch them before they connect and start sucking your blood.

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
Last April, I went out detecting in eastern NY and did the usual protocol of quarantining all clothing and taking a shower immediately thereafter. No ticks. The next day while sitting at my desk in work, I found a large tick crawling up my leg. It was in my car and got back onto me when I drove to work. This was not the first time one stayed in the car (or a jacket/backpack) overnight and got onto me the next day when I wasn't expecting it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread