Bexley, Victoria County, Ontario Canada

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Bexley, Victoria County, Ontario Canada
The most salient feature of Balsam Lake is Indian Point, a long blunt tongue of land, a mile in width, which is mark out by Northwest Bay and the Gull River estuary. Just southeast o this point are several small islands, of which Ghost Island, fifteen acres in extent, is the most important. This long, narrow, forest clad island shrouded in legend. It has two Indian mound graves of unknown antiquity. Tradition has also endowed it with buried treasure. According to pioneer lore, certain Jesuit priests had been stationed among the Indians in this part of Ontario and farther west prior to the British conquest of Canada in 1759. When the armies from the south began to close in on Canada, these priests gathered all their church plate together and prepared to paddle with it to Quebec. However, in passing through Balsam Lake they buried it, for some reason, on Ghost Island. The tale is apocryphal .and hard to verify, but was given sue' local credence that several large excavations and dozens of smaller ones were to be found fifty years ago where optimists had been digging for the legendary treasure. The continual interference of Jesuitic ghosts (whence the name of the island) was supposed to have thwart all efforts to locate the buried silver.

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500 with EagleEye.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmm, I haven't heard of this one yet. I personally would have a bit of a problem digging up known grave sites. I draw the line at that simply out of respect. I may disagree with the Canadian and US governments on their views on treasure hunting, but I have my limits. I wonder what the difference is though, between an archaeologist disturbing a burial site and propping mummies on display for all to see, and a treasure hunter carefully removing valuables from a burial site, without desecrating the remains.

Still, if there were no burial sites located on the island, I'd go to it. I don't believe in ghosts and all that other crap, I'm a treasure hunter, not a superstitious 19th century village fool. I can't afford to be superstitious, it's just that simple.

Prime

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Just to make a fact clear...I, in no shape or form condone grave robbing...totally bad karma...I posted this for historical interest only...with hopes that outside the burial grounds that treasure may be fou8nd

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500 with EagleEye.
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh yeah, no problem. I noticed that in your post.

Prime

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread