Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

We finally managed to get out in 2018 for the first time! We had some slippery roads here and frozen bridges (no salt trucks down here mean that digging is shut down when that happens!). Well we had a great hunt! Here's the video:

We dug a few sparse flat buttons here and there. Unfortunately the field was loaded with little lead bullets from someone target practicing, which I happened to recall from digging there a while back. We dug all of the pesky bullets, though (one turned out to be a small caliber CW era pistol bullet). I got a nice solid 58 signal which was lower than the pack rivets and I announced "half dime" before I dug. Well, I happened to be right! Turned an old sugar cane stalk over and saw my first silver of 2018 which I totally thought was a Seated but it turned out to be a Capped Bust half dime!

IMG_5965.jpg IMG_5967.jpg

IMG_5969.jpg IMG_5975.jpg

Walked up on a nickel sticking out of the mud. 188? V nickel. Also dug a Beefalo. :laughing7:

Then a few more buttons followed, and a complete heel plate. Several years ago I'd dug in that field a piece of what I thought was a 1700s spoon (it bore a hallmark from Paris, 1790s). Turns out it was a 1700s FORK! Probably a three-tined fork, I'm looking forward to finding more of it in the future!

IMG_1262.JPG

I eyeballed some nice mochaware with dendritic patterns, and of course the ever-present blue "feather edge" and black glass bottles pieces. Then I found a nice little piece with some writing on it. Believe it or not, it's the only piece that I could've found of the whole platter which could've identified what it was.

IMG_1261.JPG Residence of the Late Richard Jordan.jpg

Maker: Heath Pattern:Residence of Richard Jordan New Jersey lilac
Dinner Plate c1835
Joseph Heath & Co of Newfield Pottery, Tunstall, active 1828 to 1841, produced this intriguing design, of which the full title as spelt out on the backstamp is The Residence of the Late Richard Jordan, New Jersey. Jordan was born in 1756 and died in 1826. He became a Quaker preacher and was one of the first to speak out against the holding of slaves. During the last year of his life Jordan was sketched by his friend William Mason, a drawing teacher from Philadelphia, standing outside his farmhouse at Camden, New Jersey and this drawing became the inspiration for this unique china pattern. Quite how the sketch metamorphosed into a design on china is not known, but certainly it became a popular design and all manner of wares are found in several different colours, although red appears most common, whilst lilac as here is one of the rarest.

The owners of this plate likely did not know the history of Richard Jordan, re: slaveholding. But it is a fascinating find.

Then I dug a beaten-up two-piece button, almost knocked to pieces by a plow. My buddy thought it was an iron signal (sucker was over a foot deep, and a real whisper, but read deep so I dug). I didn't think much of it at the time, and didn't film the recovery or take photos (too bad!). Turns out, it is the first Civil War PELICAN button of 2018! (I'm saying that, hoping that there will be more dug this year LOL. 2017 was a dry year for those for the team.). The backmark is very faint, and with the lined background and symmetrical pelican I'm thinking it is likely a C. Bellenot New Orleans. I'll send this one to be restored if a restorer can do anything with it (it is VERY fragile!).

IMG_1260.JPG

Around this time my buddy yells "Copper!" and I come running. He said it was quarter sized, so I was thinking halfpenny or half cent. Well I was way wrong. Turns out the thing is an 1881 Canadian Large Cent minted at the Heaton mint in Birmingham England. So not only did it make its way to Canada across the pond from England, but then it somehow made its way to Louisiana. Interesting--and I can't help but wonder if there is an Acadian connection there, with relatives/kin living in Canada and visiting. Perhaps that's just wishful thinking though...

Large Cent.jpeg

At any rate, later on I got a deep but singing signal hiding in a mess of iron and dug one massive scoop of dirt out and the signal improved tremendously. Reading in the upper 70s I started to get excited. I dug down around around 16 inches and the target was in the loose dirt and screaming at me. I dropped to my knees and could see a large silver in the dirt!

IMG_5989.jpg

I could tell by how flat and BIG it was that it was a TWO REALES! It's been several years since I dug a 2 Reales, so I was totally stoked to dig this one!

IMG_5992.jpg IMG_5993.jpg

Took a bit of cleaning to get some of the stubborn black off of it, and I'm not quite done with it but I'll let it rest for a while until I consider what route--if any--to continue on. Could probably use another round or two of the aluminum foil method, and not much to lose with a spanish silver that's already seen better days.

IMG_1265.JPG IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_1257.JPG

What a great start to the year! Two weeks in, and I've hit Capped, Big Colonial Silver, and a Confederate button. Let's hope this doesn't jinx me for the next 11 1/2 months.

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 43
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to respond when you first posted but my laptop wasn't agreeable with me plus I had an urgent frozen pipe matter (4 degrees tens to check out every pipe for weaknesses). I am north of you and feel for your drop in temps. However, again with the awesome wonderful finds. Very cool to boot. keep warm, it'll get warmer again, maybe! DL

Yeah it's crazy here. Good thing nobody had to evacuate Louisiana for any reason, since all the interstates were closed! -_-

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey Buck, congrats on a great hunt
cool to see a old large cent from our neck and the fork frag is interesting for sure
I only get a two reales about every five years myself, mine this year was same as yours 1782
well done!

In the first 21 years of detecting I only dug one two reales. Since 2013 I've dug 3 and my buddy has dug 2 (an average of one per year). It all seems to be dependent on geographical location.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
amazing finds the town I live in was founded in 1826ish i wish i could find ztuff that old great job for first 2 weeks you desreve it my. friend thanks for vid and sharing your finds im still snowed in with my new at max

You CAN find stuff this old there. People were in your area before your town was founded. The 1782 I dug was highly worn, so probably lost c.1830, and the Capped probably lost c.1840. It's out there, just gotta find it!

Thanks for the reply, A2! Best Wishes in 2018!

-Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow - what a blockbuster hunt to start the year off!! It's gonna be hard to top that one anytime soon. Outstanding finds, and congrats on the double silver.

Thanks so much for the reply and accolade my friend. I am still enjoying your book. Congratulations again. I'm sure that after the reviews from various sources including this month's WE Treasures the remaining ones won't last long!

Best Wishes,

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BuckleBoy as a fellow Louisiana boy I am very proud and envious of you at the same time. I am amazed at your finds and will subscribe to your channel. Great job my friend.
I love that button I hope it can get some help. Great rescue.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hokey Smokes, did you say 55,000? acres! OK, THAT would take a couple of days or so to cover............ bet we will see some more great finds BuckleBoy, I do look forward to seeing them in the future.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That video had so much goodness, in such a condensed format, it made me dizzy. I’m just not sure what to say, you got GREAT stuff. Capped and big Spanish, plus a Pelican.

Congrats and best of luck to you and CF Bandits.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds! Congrats on the CB, 2 Real and Canadian LC (very unusual to find one where you're at to say the least).

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post and awesome finds! πŸ€‘[emoji106]

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy as a fellow Louisiana boy I am very proud and envious of you at the same time. I am amazed at your finds and will subscribe to your channel. Great job my friend.
I love that button I hope it can get some help. Great rescue.

I hope so too. Fragile buttons that look like swiss cheese like that one generally are tricky--even for professionals. I think they will be able to improve it but "how much" is the question.

Best Wishes,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hokey Smokes, did you say 55,000? acres! OK, THAT would take a couple of days or so to cover............ bet we will see some more great finds BuckleBoy, I do look forward to seeing them in the future.

Yes, around 55,000 acres. It's a lot of farmers to keep touch with but they all know us well and are happy to see us. Many sites, and adding to the site list all the time. It would take a lifetime to cover what we already have, and we figure that even with just our known sites we will have enough to hunt for the next 10 years. I'm sure we will have expanded by that time, though. Part of the fun is tracking sites down. :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That video had so much goodness, in such a condensed format, it made me dizzy. I’m just not sure what to say, you got GREAT stuff. Capped and big Spanish, plus a Pelican.

Congrats and best of luck to you and CF Bandits.

Thanks so much, Tom! Great to hear from you! This was a blast to start out the year. Anyone can have one amazing hunt. The task--and the difficulty--is not making it to the top, but maintaining a presence there! Let's hope we have a few more like this in 2018!

Best Wishes,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Congrats on the CB, 2 Real and Canadian LC (very unusual to find one where you're at to say the least).

Yeah, that was something that I NEVER would've thought we'd dig down here. Crazy.

BUT...I've said that many times. "I'll never dig one of those." Then...guess what happens :)

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your killing it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread