Big Barber … A surface find story

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My kid had my car and my Equinox was unavailable, so I grabbed my trusty old AT Pro and walked to a town project near my house, which involved truckloads of fill. The spot never had houses, farms, or a road, but I was hoping that maybe the fill was surplus from a sidewalk or road project, and that perhaps there was a coin or two in the mix. I was detecting for only about five minutes when I got a screaming 88 high tone on the AT Pro. I prepared to dig, when I saw the half sitting right on the surface of the hard packed dirt. I wish I thought to take a picture of it on the ground, but I was too excited to think straight. The reverse was caked in dirt, but the obverse looked good, as shown in the photo. This is my first silver surface find ever. There were lots of other signals, but I only dug a Lincoln penny and some scrap. I’ll probably try it again soon. Happy hunting!

Attachments

• EAA9C973-481C-49BB-999A-7EA8B24DE056.jpeg
    EAA9C973-481C-49BB-999A-7EA8B24DE056.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 429
  • 662BF4A7-710A-4DF1-992A-5CE84309DBF7.jpeg
    662BF4A7-710A-4DF1-992A-5CE84309DBF7.jpeg
    929.7 KB · Views: 350
  • B7FDD5E1-E222-4955-A0A7-B570D15F069B.jpeg
    B7FDD5E1-E222-4955-A0A7-B570D15F069B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 341
Upvote 34

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My kid had my car and my Equinox was unavailable, so I grabbed my trusty old AT Pro and walked to a town project near my house, which involved truckloads of fill. The spot never had houses, farms, or a road, but I was hoping that maybe the fill was surplus from a sidewalk or road project, and that perhaps there was a coin or two in the mix. I was detecting for only about five minutes when I got a screaming 88 high tone on the AT Pro. I prepared to dig, when I saw the half sitting right on the surface of the hard packed dirt. I wish I thought to take a picture of it on the ground, but I was too excited to think straight. The reverse was caked in dirt, but the obverse looked good, as shown in the photo. This is my first silver surface find ever. There were lots of other signals, but I only dug a Lincoln penny and some scrap. I’ll probably try it again soon. Happy hunting!
Very Nice!!!! Congrats!!!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your major accomplishment
It’s beautiful

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on that half. I’ve always thought it’s on of the most beautiful coins produced.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
1905-S, great snag. What I find is weird is 90% of the barber coins I find in Massachusetts have mint marks and not the Philly variety. Of the 3 barber half’s ive found, 1 was a San Francisco, 1 New Orleans and one philly, of the 6 quarters I’ve found only one philly. I wonder why…….. great find!!!

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Such a beautiful coin and exciting experience! I had a similar experience but my coin was a badly scratched 1918 Canadian half. You and I won't forget these experiences.
I have never found a Canadian half - nice! I got lucky with the condition on this one, as the front end loaders were going back and forth leveling the ground. It was a longshot finding it at all, but especially in this shape. I definitely won't forget this one any time soon.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet Save!!! Great example of thinking out of the box to find Treasure:icon_thumleft:
Thanks! Now that my good spots are drying up, I am forced to get creative. I really did luck out on this one though, as this coin was definitely out of place. Might have to see if there are any more fill sites around now.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1905-S, great snag. What I find is weird is 90% of the barber coins I find in Massachusetts have mint marks and not the Philly variety. Of the 3 barber half’s ive found, 1 was a San Francisco, 1 New Orleans and one philly, of the 6 quarters I’ve found only one philly. I wonder why…….. great find!!!
Thanks. That is a bit weird with the mint marks on your coins. For my 1905S, I think it has a lot to do with the mint numbers, as San Francisco easily accounted for the most half dollar coins that year. Still a long way from home though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread