🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Big Iron Pieces--Farm equipment?

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 60, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these two large pieces of iron at the same site as the last post. A fair has been held there since the 1970s (with carnival rides and all) and there was a farm/homestead there that I have seen images of during 1937 and 1955. Beyond that I do not know when it was first constructed and when it was taken down.

These two pieces of iron were about 5 feet away from each other. They could be related, or maybe they aren't (more on that later). It seems like they may be farm equipment, unless they are leftover pieces of old rides. But the rust on them makes me think they are quite old.

IronsOne.jpg

The first object is a long, thick rod. It has a hole in one end that goes all the way through, which maybe meant this piece was attached to something else with a pin or a bolt.

Here are some images of the first object:
IronsTwo.jpg
IronsThree.jpg
IronsFour.jpg
IronsFive.jpg
IronsSix.jpg
IronSeven.jpg

The second object is even more interesting. I have no idea what it is. It has an angle/step, between which they appears to be a weld. There seems to be some red paint remaining on some parts of it.

Here are some front, side, top, back, and bottom views of the object:
IronsEight.jpg
IronsTen.jpg
IronsEleven.jpg
IronsTwelve.jpg
IronsThirteen.jpg
IronFourteen.jpg
IronsFifteen.jpg
IronsSixteen.jpg
IronsSeventeen.jpg
IronsEighteen.jpg

Sorry, I know that is a lot of images! These objects are so interesting I wanted to give as many views as possible :)

Any ideas?

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first thought on item #1 was "window sash weight". But the edges around the hole are typically beveled on those so they don't cut into the rope...

s-l400.jpg

Upvote 3

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The round item could be a window sash weight.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
S

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 60, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, I wanted to mention this interesting observation: It could be a coincidence, but the rod (first object) does seem to maybe fit into the bottom of the second object.
IronsNineteen.jpg
IronsTwenty.jpg
IronsTwentyOne.jpg
IronsTwentyTwo.jpg

Upvote 1

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "long" one might be a depth sounding weight ... if this was found on farm then it was used for a well to determine the water levels.

Upvote 1

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pin (straight pivet) for the loader on a tractor. The hole is where the cotter pin goes through.
Still use that type

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread