Big Jim Colosimo "treasure"??

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Big Jim Colosimo "treasure"??

"Outside of Crown Point,IN" is the purported cache of diamonds from a 1920's gangster. Wish i could locate the original "lead" regarding this story. Can't locate a local story printed source about this. So, it just may be a rumor someone put into a treasure magazine many years ago, and this simply got repeated as factual, entering treasure leads type publications with no basis in fact....I used to live in Chesterton, Indiana and spent a lot of time on this lead, only chasing "ghosts". Some called him "Diamond Jim", but these were just what I would call secondary leads with no references to legitimate newspaper sources. It was a big waste of time in the ned, for me. My only hope was that if I did find some proof of the validity of the story, I was hanging that hope on this cache being hidden in a metal box. What are the odds? (....probably at least 5-1 against it even being in a metal box!!)How else do you locate diamonds hidden in a silk bag, or a wooden jewelry box? You don't, that's how. So, in the end this was a lesson for me, and hope anyone trying to find this take my experience to heart. steven.

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
Re: Big Jim Colosimo "treasure"??

I've read about this also. Supposed to be an estimated $800,000 of diamonds. He was Killed in a gang-war in 1920.

"Lost, Buried and Sunken Treasures of the Mid-West" by Michael Paul Henson

Smitty

meanderer

Greenie
Jul 3, 2009
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Diamonds in a Silk Purse

This is where dowsing comes into play ;D

serpent

Feb 16, 2004

morbeusandneo, having read your post a few times on this subject, i was wondering if you ever found a place to actually search? and if so how did you come by it. I have looked for this one also, longer than most I would assume. things like this arent going to have much documentation anyway. nobody calls the newspaper when they go to bury there personal wealth. it is a small window of opportunity, someone knows the answer. what would it be worth at todays prices? since you spent a lot of time on this and are no longer searching for it, maybe you could throw the rest of us a bone and tell us what youve learned along the way.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, if you have something not in Terry's "missing mobster millions" I would be all ears. I believe he had the stuff and buried it...its an interesting story...so if you have stuff to share....

OP
OP
morbiusandneo

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Curtis, you misspelled "thou". Should be Thou.... :hello:

ENTERTHEDOM

Jun 15, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
perhaps I would look into where him and Dale Winter were married and perhaps get a lead to al least a route leading from there to crownpoint indiana

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread