Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I'd give my tired shoulder a rest from the detector so I headed out to the desert to see if the winter uncovered any arrowheads. I went to a spot where I've found some nice artifacts in the past, but the last few years it's been discovered by a lot of other hunters and usually completely covered in footprints.
Well, it must have gotten some good rain at some point because it was washed clean of any signs of visitors. Right away I started finding small points, Humboldt, Elko, Cascade, and even a few Olivella beads.
Then I walked for a long spell, maybe an hour and a half, without finding anything. There was a lot of debitage showing and I knew I was on a good spot, so I kept at it.
Suddenly, I spied this red stone sticking out of the ground like a tiny tombstone. Beautiful red chert, one of my favorite materials. Okay, here we go! I fully expected it to be either missing the tip, or a short and stubby piece.
As soon as I tried to wiggle it loose from the crust I could feel it had some length to it.

red1.jpeg
red2.png
red3.png
red4.png
red5.png

Not 10 minutes later I see this very strange looking bone sticking out of the crust. What in the world could they have used this for, a dagger? I've found quite a few bone awls over the years, but I've never even seen one this big! It's amazing how well preserved it is.
bone1.jpeg
bone2.jpeg

What a fantastic warm and sunny day out in the dez, and so peaceful!
Okay, back to metal detecting now...
0324221923_2.jpeg

Upvote 38

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thought I'd give my tired shoulder a rest from the detector so I headed out to the desert to see if the winter uncovered any arrowheads. I went to a spot where I've found some nice artifacts in the past, but the last few years it's been discovered by a lot of other hunters and usually completely covered in footprints.
Well, it must have gotten some good rain at some point because it was washed clean of any signs of visitors. Right away I started finding small points, Humboldt, Elko, Cascade, and even a few Olivella beads.
Then I walked for a long spell, maybe an hour and a half, without finding anything. There was a lot of debitage showing and I knew I was on a good spot, so I kept at it.
Suddenly, I spied this red stone sticking out of the ground like a tiny tombstone. Beautiful red chert, one of my favorite materials. Okay, here we go! I fully expected it to be either missing the tip, or a short and stubby piece.
As soon as I tried to wiggle it loose from the crust I could feel it had some length to it.

View attachment 2017355 View attachment 2017356 View attachment 2017357 View attachment 2017359 View attachment 2017360

Not 10 minutes later I see this very strange looking bone sticking out of the crust. What in the world could they have used this for, a dagger? I've found quite a few bone awls over the years, but I've never even seen one this big! It's amazing how well preserved it is.
View attachment 2017361 View attachment 2017362

Okay, back to metal detecting now... View attachment 2017363
way cool

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2017355 View attachment 2017356 View attachment 2017357 View attachment 2017359 View attachment 2017360

Sweet shot!!! Very Nice Finds!!!

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k

Wow! Great finds!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be pretty excited with those finds. I would think the big red point was for a spear? I think there is a native artifact board somewhere here on Tnet and they should be able to identify it’s purpose.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow fantastic finds, I really love that red knife! Great in situ pic of it too.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Those are some super finds!! I love that large red point and drilled bone. Looks like an awesome site. Congratulations!

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be pretty excited with those finds. I would think the big red point was for a spear? I think there is a native artifact board somewhere here on Tnet and they should be able to identify it’s purpose.
It would've been a hafted knife, I've found many in the past.

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds, Oldmxrat !!! What a great day you had!

Iowa Dale
Thanks Dale, those are the kind of days you're hoping to have while driving out to a spot!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread