Bigfoot in the Sierras ?

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
Bigfoot in the Sierra's ?

This was on one of the Fresno news sites today. Too cool!!!

Bigfoot in Fresno County?
Friday, April 25, 2008

/25/2008 Fresno, CA (KFSN) -- Whether you want to believe it or not, there are a lot of people in Central California who think they've had a brush with a Bigfoot, or Sasquatch.
Many won't talk about it for fear of being ridiculed. But others are convinced they are real, and think science is about to prove they really do exist.
Lurking in the forests of the high Sierra are people, like Bill Compton. A cell phone salesman during the week, he spends many weekends in search of the elusive Bigfoot. He says," I truly believe there is a bi-pedal primate roaming the terrain. I've seen too many footprints, seen beasts walk away from me on two legs that look like giant, hairy animals."
Bill and his partners regularly search an area in the Sequoia National Forest in Southeastern Fresno County. Bills tells us," In that area we've had a lot of activity, that's why we constantly go back to it." Local hunters and hikers have reported Bigfoot like sightings, along with what they think are the sounds and smells of the creature on the website of the Bigfoot Field Research Organization. 17 alleged Bigfoot encounters are listed in Fresno County. Web sites like this are full of pictures, videos and supposed eyewitness accounts.
Such stories are no surprise to the Native American tribes living in the Sierra. To them Bigfoot was just like the bear, mountain lions, wolves and coyotes. Ron Goode of the North Fork band of Mono Indians tells us, "We have an understanding that Bigfoot was here, is here. That he once he existed. The Mono's have two names for him. One that was in the mountains, Kooseekoosnow, and then one for the foothills is Kakownow, Kakownah." Goode says he hasn't seen a Bigfoot, but thinks he smelled one. "It had kind of followed me along and really scared the heck out of me because I was running for a little bit and I could smell this thing and it smelled terrible."
Another encounter near North Fork involved not smell, but sound. Susan Larson, an accountant believes she heard a Bigfoot outside her window one night. She says, "The scream was so scary, that you would no way in your right mind go out that door and go looking for it, and it's a shame I didn't have the guts."
Susan says she didn't know she'd heard a Bigfoot, until listening to a recording on a Bigfoot web site. Listening to the sound, "Ooooappp....ooooapp..." She tells us, "That's exactly what I heard."
She later took pictures of footprints she thinks could belong to Bigfoot, or maybe a bear. Casts of footprints, along with pictures, videos and other Bigfoot evidence is on display for all to see at the Bigfoot Discovery Museum near Santa Cruz. Museum owner and curator Michael Rugg says, "We are trying to come up with definitive proof that there are Bigfoot out there."
Rugg has wanted to prove Bigfoot lives ever since he saw one as a kid, while camping with his parents along a creek in Humboldt County. He recalled the incident. "Stepped out on a sandbar and there was a great big hairy man standing there looking at me and I looked at him and he looked down at me." The creature ran off when Rugg's parents called out to him. Rugg says he didn't realize he'd seen a Bigfoot until years later. After retiring as a graphic artist he opened the museum to help further Bigfoot research.
One of the few academically credentialed scientists who will acknowledge the possibility Bigfoot exists is Jeff Meldrum. A biology professor at Idaho State University in Pocatello. His book, "Sasquatch, Legend Meets Science," has been cited in some of the most recent documentaries on Bigfoot. He believes he has almost found a scientific basis for the legendary creature from a site in Ontario, Canada. Meldrum says,"We collected tissue, the remains of blood as well as muscle tissue as well as some hairs." Meldrum explains the creature stepped on a board with screws in it, leaving the flesh behind, giving researchers a sample from which to obtain DNA for testing. He says a preliminary test indicated a feature in a strand of DNA that appeared to put the creature somewhere between a human and chimpanzee.
Meldrum admits much more DNA testing is needed, but, says he thinks there's something out there. He says," Based on all the evidence I have seen it suggests this is an unrecognized species of great ape."
That however, is not a conclusion shared by most of the scientific community. Stephen Lewis is a professor of Earth Sciences at California State University Fresno. A Geologist he teaches a course on popular myths masquerading as science. He puts Bigfoot in the same category as UFO's and Power Crystals. He says, "This whole Bigfoot topic is what can be classified as pseudo science." He adds," There's really no credible evidence that's ever been turned up that a giant six hundred pound hairy, hominid creature, man-like except bigger, inhabits the Pacific Northwest, or Fresno County or anywhere else. There's just no evidence of that."
Many Bigfoot believers say "what more could you need?" They believe the evidence, from Indian legends to eyewitness accounts, along with film and videos is already overwhelming. But even those on Bigfoot's trail, like Bill Compton of Fresno, admit the absolute proof they need may be very hard to come by. He says, "We go to investigate and can't find anything. Very mysterious, it drives us nuts. " But he says, "I truly believe we have them in the Central Valley. Bigfoot's, and it will come out, someday."
The obvious question is, "Why can't anyone seem to find a real Bigfoot, dead or alive?"
The Native Americans believe the creatures live and die hidden underground, in tunnels and caves that run for hundreds of miles through the Sierra, and only come out to feed now and then. Others believe they're just too smart to be discovered. With the sensory skills of wild animals, and near human intelligence, they are presumably, incredibly elusive.
It will take actually finding one to convince skeptics they exist, but as long as there's no way to prove they don't exist, some people will keep looking for and believing in Bigfoot.
(Copyright ©2008 KFSN-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Dave45

Dec 31, 2004
The Lone Star State
Re: Bigfoot in the Sierra's ?

To be honest I hope they never find one if they do they will be on the endangered species list that will be the excuse the government needs to keep everyone out of the forests.
they want to keep us confined, controlled its getting worse every year.

OP
OP
C

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007

You certainly have a point there! Besides, it's much more fun as a mystery.

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico

Cruisin said:
This was on one of the Fresno news sites today. Too cool!!!

Bigfoot in Fresno County?
Friday, April 25, 2008

A biology professor at Idaho State University in Pocatello. His book, "Sasquatch, Legend Meets Science," has been cited in some of the most recent documentaries on Bigfoot. He believes he has almost found a scientific basis for the legendary creature from a site in Ontario, Canada. Meldrum says,"We collected tissue, the remains of blood as well as muscle tissue as well as some hairs." Meldrum explains the creature stepped on a board with screws in it, leaving the flesh behind, giving researchers a sample from which to obtain DNA for testing. He says a preliminary test indicated a feature in a strand of DNA that appeared to put the creature somewhere between a human and chimpanzee.

Meldrum admits much more DNA testing is needed, but, says he thinks there's something out there. He says," Based on all the evidence I have seen it suggests this is an unrecognized species of great ape."

That however, is not a conclusion shared by most of the scientific community. Stephen Lewis is a professor of Earth Sciences at California State University Fresno. A Geologist he teaches a course on popular myths masquerading as science. He puts Bigfoot in the same category as UFO's and Power Crystals. He says, "This whole Bigfoot topic is what can be classified as pseudo science." He adds," .
(Copyright ©2008 KFSN-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

I'd say the geologist is correct when he says Bigfoot probably belongs with UFOs and Power Crystals. Which doesn't have anything much to do with whether Bigfoot is out there, or isn't. But it has a lot to do with the opinions science has of itself and to what extent those opinions can be trusted.

A few months before those two bicycle mechanics flew the first airplane Lord Hoyle, one of the most renouned physicists in the world pronounced before a gathering of yes-men-other-scientists that heavier-than-air flight would be impossible for human beings.

Science is adept at reverse engineering to understand what is, once someone produces enough evidence to convince them what is. They're no better than the rest of us at knowing what isn't.

However, generally they're accurate in judging what isn't scientific, for what that's worth.

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California

So someone that has been hunting bigfoot has seen it on several occasions yet doesn't carry the one piece of equipment that essential for any "bigfoot hunter"? A camera?

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)

Tag post, please ignore - thank you for posting this. :thumbsup:

S

stefen

Oroblanco said:
Tag post, please ignore - thank you for posting this. :thumbsup:

:laughing7:

Attachments

• CalvinsFaces.gif
    CalvinsFaces.gif
    39.5 KB · Views: 552
  • CalvinsFaces.gif
    CalvinsFaces.gif
    39.5 KB · Views: 546

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

whiskey falls has been known for odd things going on 8)

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark (Under water unit)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I saw a program on TV not too long ago doing a story about this subject....I believe he exists....SushiDog

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I saw him in downtown Santa Cruz. No idea where he got the backpack. :laughing9:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Why does this remind me of the scene from Wizzard of Oz, where the lion says over and over: "I DO believe in spooks, I DO believe in spooks, .... I DO I do I do I do!" :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread