Billy Can, Nalgene Steel bottle and multi-functionalty

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
I love multi functionality, so I made some usefull mods and want to share it.

I bought at ebay a fish mouth opener for a few bucks and removed the rubber caps at the end.

You can put it in every Nalgene and other steel bottles to produce a removable handle to hang the bottle over fire and boil water (disinfection)

On the Billy can pot (the best outdoor pot in my opinion), I drilled eight 6mm holes in the inserted pan (marked 1 cm under the rim) so I can use the pot for cooking stuff and at the same time I can just steam other things on top.

The fish mouth opener can also be used as a removable pan handle. If you spread it a little and put it in the holes 1 and 3, you got a nice tight and secure handle.

As next I make a 13 by 13 cm grill grate to use the pot as an oven (in horizontal position) for baking bread etc. (pics will follow!)

Hope you like this ideas and find it usefull :headbang:

Before I forget, The lid holders of the Billi Can are made out of plastic. I make some steel clamps this days so the lid will hold also in horizontal position if I use it as an oven .

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice stainless rig you have there.

I've a mucket not broke in yet.

Some other wares like a stainless wire handled cup. Military canteen cup with lid. A small sauce pan. Needs a lid...

Somewhere is a cloth bag with a tin can stove build in it that needs some bigger vent holes for air intake.
(Picture from online. Mucket/corn boiler. Better build that a tin can Billy and it's softer solder.)
US-Civil-War-Heavy-Duty-Tin-Mucket-Corn-Boiler-_1.jpg

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Forgot...

The handle in combination with the bottle is not just to hang it over fire. You can also put it directly in the fire but you can remove it this way without gloves!

We had so many trouble with using gloves in the past. This steel bottles slips away, anyway you use leather or cloth gloves and if they are full of dust or dirt, it slips even more! One friend used one time gloves which was rubber coated. He messed up my other Nalgene bottle with molten rubber at the outside.... :laughing7:

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice stainless rig you have there.

I've a mucket not broke in yet.

Some other wares like a stainless wire handled cup. Military canteen cup with lid. A small sauce pan. Needs a lid...

Somewhere is a cloth bag with a tin can stove build in it that needs some bigger vent holes for air intake.
(Picture from online. Mucket/corn boiler. Better build that a tin can Billy and it's softer solder.)
View attachment 1819824

Nice one! Do you know the weight of it?

The Billy can 14 cm (2 Liters) just weights 720 Grams (25 ounzes)

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Btw. if you got also stuff with nice and useful mods, please post them here!! :icon_thumleft:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice one! Do you know the weight of it?

The Billy can 14 cm (2 Liters) just weights 720 Grams (25 ounzes)

I don't know it's weight. Not much though. It's around 24 ounce capacity. (My metric is poor..)

I've read of using a silicone cup to cover a boiling bottle or Kelly kettle to keep heat in and ash out. Not a material I use but might one day...

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Btw. if you got also stuff with nice and useful mods, please post them here!! :icon_thumleft:

I dislike going into the basement . A one legged thing...
That's where most my gear is.
I'll have to find the camera too , some where ...L/o/l//

One simple mod I did was fold a spoon handle to be able to wear the spoon on a belt. I hang it on a knife sheath though. A great use for old quality and ornate spoons..
I folded it to have bowl bottom outward when worn. A flush fit so not to snag on brush ect..And to not snag myself or anything carried on that side.
A hobo would be proud. But in today's culture I might be mistaken for a drug addict...

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Just bought some minutes ago the Savotta LJK Modular backpack #1! Was a dream for many years and finally I own it :hello2:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 80 liters up to 100 liters volume

Brand new With some additional things and two extra bags. Saved 400 bucks!! I am so happy right now :laughing7::hello2:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought a WW2 rucksack around 1977.
Used it for trapping ,camping,hunting, shopping flea markets...
It sets still loaded except for tinned meat from it's last trip to Canada where it carried stuff in the event of a night or more out on an island if the weather turned and boating would not allow a run to base camp.

It's color has faded. And one quarter inch hole in it I should patch.
But it holds enough for me.
A few pounds is a lot anymore. And ten pounds? Oh ,heck no.Them days are past.

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought a WW2 rucksack around 1977.
Used it for trapping ,camping,hunting, shopping flea markets...
It sets still loaded except for tinned meat from it's last trip to Canada where it carried stuff in the event of a night or more out on an island if the weather turned and boating would not allow a run to base camp.

It's color has faded. And one quarter inch hole in it I should patch.
But it holds enough for me.
A few pounds is a lot anymore. And ten pounds? Oh ,heck no.Them days are past.

The Savotta weights less than 8 Punds alone but with this carry system you don´t recognize it. Very very comfortable to wear!!

Got a lot of back problems with other ones in the past.

Just found a video in english:

And a funny test video in german: :laughing7:

Last edited:

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant find pic for other side but i like this for just messing around brand is B&B "all British made" Not as heavy as it looks but have much lighter packs. Have the long pins that are not in pic. s-l1600.jpg

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Cant find pic for other side but i like this for just messing around brand is B&B "all British made" Not as heavy as it looks but have much lighter packs. Have the long pins that are not in pic. View attachment 1819959

Yep! This great backpacks with a frame are not a new invention! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread