Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Just got back from a few weeks overseas on a mission, just itching to get back at my new site in SC. Recoveries so far have been killer with an assortment of early silver, 18th century toy cannon, and a 1740s 2 escudo counterfeit. Definitely get the feeling these guys have money, but I knew there had to be something special left in that dirt. Landed the jet, hugged the wife and son, and snuck away for a few hours of dirt therapy :laughing7:. Few flat buttons and assorted lead had me a bit discouraged until the XP let out a broken chip among the iron. Flipped the plug, removed a few iron nails, and re-swung the hole...solid 75...definitely a flat button. Reached in with the pin pointer and pulled a heavily encrusted button.

20180819_183724.jpg

Dry brushed like I always do in the field and noticed a ring of stars and shield. Knowing immediately what I had found, I just sat in the dirt in disbelief...my first rattlesnake button! Condition was rough given the salt water nearby, but 1000 flat buttons had prepared me for this one. Mineral oil soak, followed by careful mechanical toothpicking/brushing, along with a paste of baking soda/lemon juice. Finally a protective seal with renaissance wax...here is the progression

1.png 2.png 3.png

Normally I like to post all the finds together, but this one stands alone

64171.jpeg

This one is the closest in Don's Insignia of Independence, but notice the head orientation is different...some believe these are revolutionary war, but could also be slightly later with a political/patriotic intent. Either way is an incredible piece of American history.

20180820_135019.jpg

Another incredible recovery from this dirt and a bucket lister for any button collector. As always thanks for your comments and good luck swinging this week.

Upvote 89

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrats Jon-what rare find! BANNER all the way

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing button find
Congrats

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do love the rattlesnake buttons. That is a variety that you don't see very often, in fact I think that is the first one I've seen posted. If I had the money, I would try to put together a collection of all the varieties I could get my hands on. As I don't have the money, I have to settle for what I can dig. After digging my second Rattlesnake & Stars button, the tattoo went on the arm :laughing7:

Banner vote going in :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Tattoo.jpg
    Tattoo.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 324
OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do love the rattlesnake buttons. That is a variety that you don't see very often, in fact I think that is the first one I've seen posted. If I had the money, I would try to put together a collection of all the varieties I could get my hands on. As I don't have the money, I have to settle for what I can dig. After digging my second Rattlesnake & Stars button, the tattoo went on the arm :laughing7:

Now that tattoo is commitment Steve, digging 2 is like getting struck by lightning haha - thanks so much for the BANNER nod

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a first for my eyes. Nice cleanup job and a great save. Congrats

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is one BADASS tat!! Your artist did you good...Ddf.

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome find Jon. Super historic early patriotic button! Very good condition as well. Congrats man. Looking forward to getting back out soon.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find of a lifetime!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread