Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Just got back from a few weeks overseas on a mission, just itching to get back at my new site in SC. Recoveries so far have been killer with an assortment of early silver, 18th century toy cannon, and a 1740s 2 escudo counterfeit. Definitely get the feeling these guys have money, but I knew there had to be something special left in that dirt. Landed the jet, hugged the wife and son, and snuck away for a few hours of dirt therapy :laughing7:. Few flat buttons and assorted lead had me a bit discouraged until the XP let out a broken chip among the iron. Flipped the plug, removed a few iron nails, and re-swung the hole...solid 75...definitely a flat button. Reached in with the pin pointer and pulled a heavily encrusted button.

20180819_183724.jpg

Dry brushed like I always do in the field and noticed a ring of stars and shield. Knowing immediately what I had found, I just sat in the dirt in disbelief...my first rattlesnake button! Condition was rough given the salt water nearby, but 1000 flat buttons had prepared me for this one. Mineral oil soak, followed by careful mechanical toothpicking/brushing, along with a paste of baking soda/lemon juice. Finally a protective seal with renaissance wax...here is the progression

1.png 2.png 3.png

Normally I like to post all the finds together, but this one stands alone

64171.jpeg

This one is the closest in Don's Insignia of Independence, but notice the head orientation is different...some believe these are revolutionary war, but could also be slightly later with a political/patriotic intent. Either way is an incredible piece of American history.

20180820_135019.jpg

Another incredible recovery from this dirt and a bucket lister for any button collector. As always thanks for your comments and good luck swinging this week.

Upvote 89

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have copperheads snakes in the great state of Connecticut. Snakes are good tasting and free food.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Huge congrats man! That should be up top fast. You got my vote :occasion14:

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very awesome find buddy. I love it. Never seen one with the bars/shield design posted on here.
Banner!

Thought it was an unlisted variety, but did find one example on the GW website. Would have been silver washed. Thanks for the vote

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do love the rattlesnake buttons. That is a variety that you don't see very often, in fact I think that is the first one I've seen posted. If I had the money, I would try to put together a collection of all the varieties I could get my hands on. As I don't have the money, I have to settle for what I can dig. After digging my second Rattlesnake & Stars button, the tattoo went on the arm :laughing7:

Banner vote going in :thumbsup:

Nice tat!

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Big congrats Jon! My buddy Jdsly dug one when we first started digging, actually at one of the sites I took you to. Not having any idea What it was, I remember telling him "that's gonna turn out to be something good!". Sure enough, it made banner and still probably one of his best finds. Very rare and historic find buddy, banner vote going in. Congrats again!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on digging that button! I've heard of them, but never saw one posted. I'm glad that you, the button fanatic that you are, were the one to dig that up. Looks like banner #4 coming your way!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the button. I have dug several early nipple buttons that you never see posted but I have not dug any “special buttons”. I found a cut tree coin that didnt make banner so I really have no idea what belongs up top but Ill give you a vote since its something I dont have that I would like to have. Good job on the cleanup too

Last edited:
OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Big congrats Jon! My buddy Jdsly dug one when we first started digging, actually at one of the sites I took you to. Not having any idea What it was, I remember telling him "that's gonna turn out to be something good!". Sure enough, it made banner and still probably one of his best finds. Very rare and historic find buddy, banner vote going in. Congrats again!

Thanks for the vote Darby, this site is a strange one..
landed on it based on an 1697 plat map and instead found a mid 1700s homesite. Pulled dozens of flats, but this one is the crown jewel for sure.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on digging that button! I've heard of them, but never saw one posted. I'm glad that you, the button fanatic that you are, were the one to dig that up. Looks like banner #4 coming your way!

Thanks buddy, I still remember the rush of the first blank flat button I ever recovered... Brought it home, over cleaned it, and accidently broke the shank :BangHead: Happy to say 5 years of recovering and preserving dug buttons I was well prepared for this one. Thanks for the banner nod

Last edited:

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome.jpg VMI Congrats.gif
Banner for sure !!!

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Awesome ink Steve... "D"

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like the button. I have dug several early nipple buttons that you never see posted but I have not dug any “special buttons”. I found a cut tree coin that didnt make banner so I really have no idea what belongs up top but Ill give you a vote since its something I dont have that I would like to have. Good job on the cleanup too

Thanks for the vote toasted, keep your head up, may still see that tree in the top and if not it's an incredible find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread