All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought everybody had seen the "Minelab Timeline" from Steve's Website. I guess not.

minelab-timeline.jpg

If the new GPZ7000 is going to be anything like it's silhouette in the above photo (no guarantee), then it will look a LOT like the SDC2300. It will just have all the new technology packed into a smaller (read more portable) detector. Even if the 7000 does not perform any better than the GPX5000, but comes wireless in an SDC2300's portable package, its a winner!

Mike

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought everybody had seen the "Minelab Timeline" from Steve's Website. I guess not.

View attachment 1107449

If the new GPZ7000 is going to be anything like it's silhouette in the above photo (no guarantee), then it will look a LOT like the SDC2300. It will just have all the new technology packed into a smaller (read more portable) detector. Even if the 7000 does not perform any better than the GPX5000, but comes wireless in an SDC2300's portable package, its a winner!

Mike

That "timeline" really doesn't mean anything. You don't think they are going to give away any REAL details ahead of time, so why use a real silhouette of the secret new machine?

OP
OP
DDancer

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Miners Den in Australia has a picture of it and a promo add. No real information but you can see it. Cant say for sure but the coil does not look like it has a lead... sleek look and boasting 40% more depth *read disclaimer hahahh*.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I guess I got my wish. Here is a copy of my post from October 17, 2012

"I have a Minelab GPX 5000 and a Minelab CTX 3030. I am a firm believer at this point that the GPX 5000 has taken PI nugget detecting technology about as far as it can go, with only better ferrous discrimination the only thing to offer me. And I am not holding my breath for that. So where to go from here?

Pretty obvious I would say. Cram the GPX 5000 into the CTX 3030 package. I see no reason why it can't be done. The only limitation would likely be battery time per charge but if a CTX style battery could get me just a half day operation I am fine with changing batteries at lunch. A GPX 5000 is a single package with built-in speaker and GPS and waterproof to 10 feet would be killer. A new coil set mimicing the CTX set would be great as new waterproof coils would be a must. 8" mono, 11" (or 12") mono and 11" (or 12") DD and 18" mono would be all I would ever need. People are already using the GPX for beach and relic hunting and this would put it over the top. I would be using it for almost any detecting at all except where discrimination is a must, like turf hunting in a park."

Attachments

• minelab-gpz-7000-australia-ad.jpg
    minelab-gpz-7000-australia-ad.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I heard about guys in Italy who have waterproofed their 3030's so they can scuba dive with them. It would be unbelievable if Minelab could stick the 5000 into a fully waterproof 3030 package. And maybe at the same time improve on the iron discrimination. I would buy one.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I guess I got my wish. Here is a copy of my post from October 17, 2012

"I have a Minelab GPX 5000 and a Minelab CTX 3030. I am a firm believer at this point that the GPX 5000 has taken PI nugget detecting technology about as far as it can go, with only better ferrous discrimination the only thing to offer me. And I am not holding my breath for that. So where to go from here?

Pretty obvious I would say. Cram the GPX 5000 into the CTX 3030 package. I see no reason why it can't be done. The only limitation would likely be battery time per charge but if a CTX style battery could get me just a half day operation I am fine with changing batteries at lunch. A GPX 5000 is a single package with built-in speaker and GPS and waterproof to 10 feet would be killer. A new coil set mimicing the CTX set would be great as new waterproof coils would be a must. 8" mono, 11" (or 12") mono and 11" (or 12") DD and 18" mono would be all I would ever need. People are already using the GPX for beach and relic hunting and this would put it over the top. I would be using it for almost any detecting at all except where discrimination is a must, like turf hunting in a park."

Yeah, but this isn't a GPX5000. They have completely changed the circuitry. I'm not sure exactly how a "zero voltage transmission" system will affect operations, but it's completely different from anything they (or anybody) have done before.

edit- also notice that they no longer call the platform "waterproof" but now call it "weatherproof" which is what many of us have been calling the CTX all along.

ianSF

Apr 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Sweet! Looks pretty cool.

Hey Steve-

I went to the Miner's Den website and they had a testimonial from "Steve USA" who had found a 2.5 ouncer at 2.5 feet. That wasn't you, was it? If so, congratulations! That's a great find at an impressive depth.

OP
OP
DDancer

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehh :) Hey Steve are you sure your not the Steve-USA on the ad? I'd ask the same of Jonathan P. as well were he about here. But loose lips.... hehh

I'm not so keen on changing batteries every 4 to 6 hours so I'd hope that ML manages to keep things alive for at least 8 hours. When I'm out bush I don't come back to camp all day most days and a 10k walkabout is normal for 10 to 12 hours. Of course I do take breaks... been caught taking a bush nap more than a few times by my mates ;) But should I have to limit myself or pack extra power when current after market power packs can keep me bush for a day....

I wont knock that there is some advantage with eliminating the coil lead as it does affect the performance of current machines. Considering what I've deciphered of the patent and what other items I've been able to read on the new tech it makes sense.... but how long can the machine perform? I can see an advantage in being able to take the coil off when I'm gardening under trees though.

Water proofing is nice as being stuck in camp during the storms of 2010 was a bummer and bagging my detector was not terribly convenient or effective. Last thing I needed was to knock the box into a pool or have mud creep in while digging a hole.

40% deeper? Well I've gotten deep results with a 16 DD at 2.5 feet on a near 2oz nugget so with a 14 inch *shrug*. Gotta wonder what ground conditions were like.
If it can ping the itty bitties at good depth and pick up disseminated speci's that would be a huge help. Be interested in coil selections as well though I gotta think those are gonna be big money.
The GPS and maping will be helpful.

OP
OP
DDancer

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well a word from a friend of mine is that about mid-month the package of info will be released. This weekend ML and others are having a conference so I guess the waiting is about over. I have to wonder how many prospectors are going to jump on the wagon and when we'll see some performance experiences.
Personally I'm planning on hitting OZ for a few months this gold season and hung up between giving the new wand a ride or sticking to proven performance....

Hehh :) I almost feel like a nob asking what do I get. Heck could just pick up a 5000, SDC and Gpz,(or combination) have fun and flog'm when I get back. Hopefully with some good stories. But I'm not rich so *shrug* :)
The new technology fascinates me. If what I have figured out is true then there are a few areas I really need to get back too that have become pending in the last year or two.

Addendum Feb 8 : Miners den has a few new pictures and is taking reservations :)

Last edited:

A_Sly1_U

Jun 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GPZ-7000 will be available next week...they're shipping either the 13th or 18th. Cost is $9,999. My wife is going to kill me.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, Minelab really shot for Jupiter on that price now didn't they? :D

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GPZ-7000 will be available next week...they're shipping either the 13th or 18th. Cost is $9,999. My wife is going to kill me.

Holy @#$%!!! It better come with it's own backhoe for that price!

A_Sly1_U

Jun 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that's not even MSRP...that's minimum price that Minelab will allow.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it lives up to expectations (and they usually do with Minelab), then I bet this will be an outstanding detector. I participate in the hobby, but could not justify that kind of coin right now, but could understand many committed nugget shooters getting one. Old joke about a bacon and egg breakfast - the chicken participated, but the pig committed.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I could ever drop $10K for a detector. that is just far too much for a hobby.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I could ever drop $10K for a detector. that is just far too much for a hobby.
I couldn't either, only way I could justify it would be gold nugget hunting full time....

Now as far as too much for a hobby, look at the cost of bass boats or salt water fishing boats. I had friends that dropped well over 20k into their boats and they weren't professional fishermen...

People drop $30k+ into cars that are only worth a 5th of that or less in 6 years.... Go figure...

Last edited:

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ya when ya put it into perspective like that it's not so bad. I would compare this detector to the Ferrari though and a normal $3-$600 a civic. Not to many people are gonna be able to justify spending that much.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya when ya put it into perspective like that it's not so bad. I would compare this detector to the Ferrari though and a normal $3-$600 a civic. Not to many people are gonna be able to justify spending that much.
No one I know......

OP
OP
DDancer

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehh :) Justification is easy as its all in your perspective of what you want out of what your getting. 10 grand is rather steep and will require that I think long and hard about it. On one hand it could be the cats meow where I intend to be this summer. I'd like to take a serious bite outta the gold fields:) On the other if I don't make a dent in the gold fields then flogging it for some small return here should be simple.
A fair few people are dropping their GPX's, consider that a 50% off coupon, to take a drive on this new detector. For them its justification enough I think.

Personally I will have to wait for more information. As it is a GPX is proven~ this GPZ remains to be seen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread