Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those Interested:

With an estimated 18,000 black bears roaming across most of Pennsylvania, your chances of encountering a bear in the state are greater than at any other time over the past several hundred years. The good news is you are almost certain to survive the encounter. While attacks by black bears in Pennsylvania do occur, they are exceedingly rare, statistically almost non-existent. Of course, those statistics aren't all that meaningful to the handful of people who have been attacked over the past few decades. The Pennsylvania Game Commission has no record of any fatal attacks in Pennsylvania during the past century. The first one in New Jersey was recorded in fall 2014, and that was close to the state line with Pennsylvania.

Here's the advice of the Game Commission.

Could you survive an encounter with a bear in Pennsylvania? | PennLive.com

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Relax Jeff.
They are more likely to attack the old slow weak and wobbly coffee smellin detectorists first.:o

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no they are more likely to attack a box of glazed donuts.

the game commission uses donuts as bait in their bear cages.

last year I had a 500+bear coming into my yard and trying to get in my septic tank.
I never got to see it but the Neighbor did. it would come around on Garbage Nights
Rip the fence down Between our yards, Tear up his Garbage,
& at some point lift the Lid off my septic Tank.

Bear smelled like skunk.

someone got it at hunting season

Last edited:

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no they are more likely to attack a box of glazed donuts.

the game commission uses donuts as bait in their bear cages.

last year I had a 500+bear coming into my yard and trying to get in my septic tank.
I never got to see it but the Neighbor did. it would come around on Garbage Nights
Rip the fence down Between our yards, Tear up his Garbage,
& at some point lift the Lid off my septic Tank.

Bear smelled like skunk.

someone got it at hunting season

Yea, I got caught in the trap once trying for a raised glazed one morning. And the darn thing was stale!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll bet after dining at that septic tank he probably tasted like $hit!

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a bear, not sure if black bear, that is hanging out in one of our special sites in the summer, spring and fall. This bear has been said to be a "problem bear" brought in from another area, so yeah...we can't go there until winter when he apparently goes elsewhere. My husband went bear hunting at that site last year. He was supposed to ensure that bear was in my freezer, but to no avail. Hopefully this winter he'll be successful, because I want that bear outta there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread