Black sand or mineralized ground... opinions please.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I need some opinions. I realize that black sands and mineralized ground can be the bane of some, but to others, pure heaven. I'm a fairly successful dredger that needs to easily and rapidly find hematite or magnetite in a practical manner without getting down and digging to much.

Requirements -

The MD needs to be somewhat water proof or highly water resistant, small head that is able to work in water, have digital output and speaker/headset jack.

Why spend time dredging up worthless sand, while a larger deposit may be yards away. This will help all of us prospectors do more with less. Please reply in the positive and negative about all brands that you've used. But remember, I'm NOT looking for gold with the MD, black sand will do.

Best regards and luck to all

Upvote 0

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do I have this right... you want to know about MD's that can detect black sand?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most single frequency VLF's will start to squawk in wet black sand and sometimes in the dry also. In the water, it might be a little trickier. Fresh water might react about the same way, but, in salt water, it would be hard to tell black sand falsing from salt water falsing.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if youre looking for black sand - i'll trade you for gold

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm looking for wet or dry magnetite, hematite or an iron rich plume. Sometimes you can see the stuff right in view... other times the stuff is washed into the water with little trace. With a qualified ,metal detector I should be able to locate and trace the mineralization plume or deposit.

Hoping for advice on which brand or model would be best.

Thanks

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want real Black sand use a Magnet , because all Black sand is not magnetic Black sand.Black sand on most beaches is sand that is Black not magnetic.Only a magnet can tell the differents

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Black sand, magnetite or hematite or streaks of highly mineralized sand usually are "disliked" by the MD pros. But, to those of us the suck the gravel sand and gold from high river banks, streams, rivers etc., get really excited over the presence of the black, magnetic stuff. The dredgers heaven, MD'ers hell. When it exists in plumes, it can be plotted and marked, then dredged. This is the reason that I seek the help of the MD practitioners.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ought to come to my house. The black sand in the creek is legendary. A lot of it is rutile and is not magnetic. Ten minutes of sluicing will get you several gallons of it. There is tiny gold here too. Metal detectors? Most any vlf machine can be set to find it.

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites gmt has a black sand meter or something like that my buddy looks for the black sand and then the gold

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My At pro.will false on black sand in a salt water enviroment,the more black sand the more it will false...ie ...tell you that you have found black sand.

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the input guys... now I know where to start.

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input guys... now I know where to start.

You might want to look at the Aqua Survey Magnetic Locator.......check ebay for one. It is a compass that will tell you where the black sand deposits are when they are magnetic. There should be more info on them here on TNET. I have one but haven't been to the gold fields yet to try it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions