Blue-Green Algae

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite water spot was closed late last week due to blue-green algae. In talking to a friend, he said that's it for the season because once the blue-green algae forms, it's there until the water gets cold in the fall. I'm hoping that's not true. It's very frustrating. The lake is too small and shallow to flip, so that won't take care of it, either.
I've found 4 gold rings, one with 3 diamonds, and a dozen or so sterling rings there so far this year and I thought we were just getting started. Now it's over already and it looks like I'll have to wait until next year.

Scott

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plenty of other water spots in NY...do some research and
good luck

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your friend is right about the algae.

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have that problem in Fl. also. The Red Tide. By the end of summer it usually has the SW Coast shut down. The Mayor of St Pete was on the news last week asking for volunteers to help clean up all the dead fish on the beaches, bad for tourism…... Over 800 Manatees have starved to death so far this year. The algae kills all the sea grass on the bottom so they have nothing to eat. We went to the Glades in Jan. ALL the wildlife is gone, The only birds we saw were vultures. No small game,deer, birds, dolphins…..nothing, not even a turtle! I’ve been going to the Glades for 25 years and never seen it this bad. Mosquito Lagoon dead…Indian River dead…….Sebastian Inlet SP infested with rats….. Paradise lost.

Last edited:

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is all very depressing. We are losing our wildlife

OP
OP
S

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: I stopped at the lake yesterday to see what was going on. The water was crystal clear and there was no tape saying to stay out! I called a friend and we went in. I found a bunch of change, a couple of junk rings, and an earring - possibly silver. He found a little change, a sterling ring, and a 14K wedding band. All-in-all, a great day!

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread