Bob Marx list

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew Robert and his wife and I attended his lectures at FIT and he was quite the storyteller and embellisher but I think his research was dependable. I visited his office and seen some artifacts and he could rattle off the details of them in a way that you knew that he knew what he was talking about. I have his book "Shipwrecks in Florida Waters" copywrighted in 1979 and I see many references to Lloyds as well as many other less obvious sources. I would think he would be real careful about these references because they could be verified by other researchers.

Attachments

• IMG_1987.JPG
    IMG_1987.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Vox veritas

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob had many strengths, but also many weaknesses. I met him on several occasions in Lisbon and Seville. We had many beers. Quite a character!

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi friends. How credible can Bob Marx's information about the list of shipwrecks reported in his books and apparently taken from the Lloyd's records?
Having fought an Admiralty suit against RM, I can tell you his lies were endless. Also having sat beside and talked to a person who was with RM when he bought porcelain at an Indonesian antique shop and claimed it was off the Flor Del Mar shipwreck, I would be VERY careful about using any of his research. Assume it is a lie unless you can prove it is correct.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In Marx's book he lists the 1605 fleet as wrecked on the Seranilla Banks. He said he visited the site and collected artifacts that date to that time period. We now know that the 1605 fleet sank 100 miles from there.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I flew Marx over the Saranilla Bank and he pointed out clusters of cannons and other goodies in the water. When I took my boat there, the anomolies were natural formations. Notwithstanding, he had some great stories.
Don..

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did he not state in one of his books that he found the 'Monitor' at one time? I will look and see if it is

in one of my books

Micheal

OP
OP
Vox veritas

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent many hours for a famous archaeologist looking for information on "Santiago el Grande". I found nothing at all. This archaeologist wrote me that he was going to sue him. I don't know if he did!

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Why would you bash a man that had done so much in his life, yea I knew Bob too spent a lot of time with him, he was not always right, bullshitted some, but no-one had done what he had done, you might want to look at what you have done in your life before putting others down.

OP
OP
Vox veritas

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob did some very good things and some not so good things. Regarding the "Santiago el Grande" it was all a lie! As I said, I have documents to prove it, and I searched uselessly for information.
When asked where "his" information came from, he said he lost it. In his books you have to find out well what he wrote and the primary historical source.

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well that could be, Bob was a special person, but the information he gave GME, lead us to several shipwrecks, in both the DR and Florida, so I can only say, that information was correct. no X marks the spot but close enough with good survey mag work.

OP
OP
Vox veritas

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always verify the information that comes from Marx. As I said, there are many unforgivable "mistakes".

OP
OP
Vox veritas

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
75% of the documentary sources in the book "Shipwrecks in Florida waters" do not correspond. I checked them in the AGI.

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
One thing I have learned over these many years of research is,
Its not always as it seams, there is always another source, and there was to much information lost by flood, fire and war, to depend on any one source.
Prime example where GME found 35, I will say again 35 historical shipwrecks, documented" everyone all historians and government said there were no shipwrecks. There is no history of there being any shipwrecks in this area,
BUT with looking at wind patterns, currents, and info from Bob Marx GME found these ships, in fact the history of the travel patter during 16,17 century in this area is totally wrong.
So I do not put much faith in records alone. Maybe a reason to be learned here.

And Again I will say it all starts with a good survey plan.

OP
OP
Vox veritas

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During my 41 years of research I have been able to confirm that the only 100% confirmed historical truth is the one concerning the shipwrecks. The rest is highly manipulated, starting with the discovery of America.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
We all owe Bob a debt of gratitude for his amazing work. Did he embellish sometimes? Yes. But he was a wealth of knowledge that will be missed.

Semper Fi Bob.

sirwilliam

May 26, 2010
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Excalibur
We all owe Bob a debt of gratitude for his amazing work. Did he embellish sometimes? Yes. But he was a wealth of knowledge that will be missed.

Semper Fi Bob.
Yes agreed,
I am sitting here in the philippines exactly where about marks told me to come in 1986 when he found the great rich spanish manila galleon named the san nicolas in 15 feet of water outside the reef. If you're interested contact me

(Deleted for rule violation)

Last edited by a moderator:

sirwilliam

May 26, 2010
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Excalibur
Hi friends. How credible can Bob Marx's information about the list of shipwrecks reported in his books and apparently taken from the Lloyd's records?
Bob marx wrote and said some things that were not totally accurate and i am an expert on that because i got drawn in. I found three shipwrecks he wrote about and told me personally he could not find them.
(Deleted for rule violation)

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread