✅ SOLVED Bobby Dazzler - Need Help With Age and Origin

SlashRacer

May 11, 2018
Otsego, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this broach at an 1840's homestead last night. Any idea on when it may have been made and the origins? Is the white possibly ivory?

bd.jpg

bd1.jpg

bd2.jpg

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The white appears to be cloisonné IMO. I can see where it chipped off of the metal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloisonné

I believe that this is from the 1900s, but I am no expert.

Nice find and good luck to you sir.

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the white is enamel. Date wise, I'm thinking no more recent than the 1890s and maybe as early as the 1870s. ??

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is very likely 'costume jewelry', but it appears to be extremely well made. :occasion14:
I see a fleur-de-lis, an amber stone and white enamel, all of these elements combined have a meaning... but what?
Date wise, I would guess third quarter of the 19thc.

"Amber stone is not strictly speaking a stone at all, but is fossilized resin. Through the millennium, jewelry made from it resembles gemstones, so it is sold as a gem stone. Archaeologists have found many beautifully carved amber pieces in graves, dating back around 2000bc. Amber stone artifacts and jewelry have been found in many places, and this may be because it was possibly a trade item that ended up in the hands of those who had the wealth. The meaning of amber healing attributes has been well known as it has been in use since ancient times. Part of its use may be attributed to its beauty. Those that used it and kept it on their body as jewelry ortalismans would have been aware that it helped to improve their health. Archeological finds made from this stone are well documented. This includes a well-known Amber cup that may have been made in Britain, as it was found at Hove near Brighton. Many of the artifacts made of amber had insects within them.If you look for them they are fairly easy to buy and its quite astonishing to see them clearly visible, trapped in the stone. In ancient times, the pieces containing insects were probably thought to have magical virtues, as they were carved into hunting talismans, worn to ensure safe and abundant hunting."

"The fleur-de-lis or fleur-de-lys (plural: fleurs-de-lis, or fleurs-de-lys) [pron, is a stylized lily (in French, fleur means"flower", and lis means "lily") that is used as a decorative design or motif, and many of the Catholic saints of France, particularly St. Joseph, are depicted with a lily. Since France is a historically Catholicnation, the fleur-de-lis became at one and the same time, religious, political, dynastic, artistic, emblematic, and symbolic", especially in French heraldry."

Hope you get a definite I.D. on your find,
Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread