Bonding With Legend

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 15 hours, I have found the Legend to be an outstanding detector. I do not hunt private homes and my places are spots I have hunted for years. A wheat penny per hunt is good for these places. This AM, I decided to take the Legend to a park 45 minutes away from my home. The last two times I made the drive, the park had foot high grass. I pulled in the lot and immediately left. There is a close by park, but it does not give up anything but clad. Today with the Legend would prove that theory wrong.

I purposely hunted a section of the park where I have never found anything but clad. The first two signals were a 8 inch deep 1962 memorial and a similar depth 40's wheatie. The hunt was on and it only got better. I dug a rare for this park silver dime and it was deep at 9-10 inches. 1918 mercury dime. I was gridding at this point and every pass was good for a deep wheatie. I found 7 more wheats and I realized that I was only tuned into the high deep tones. I tried to pay more attention to the 24 t0 26 numbers and shortly after I found a Buffalo with a date. 1917! 7 inches deep and read a perfect 24-25.

What do these deep signals sound like! They are not at all loud or distinct. As a matter of fact, without phones most people would probably pass them by. A bare "whisper" with high 40's low 50's numbers. One thing I do when I get this signal is pinpoint it and when I have it centered, I slightly wiggle the coil and listen carefully for the whisper. I turn 90 degrees and repeat. If it repeats when I turn, game on. I dig hardly any deep rusty iron with the Legend, a lot less than I dig with my Etrac. If you haven't figured it out, I really like this detector. What a bargain!

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered a Legend from Barts to compliment my. Equinox 800. Is there a target ID list to give me an idea of what coins and jewelry ring up?

OP
OP
R

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered a Legend from Barts to compliment my. Equinox 800. Is there a target ID list to give me an idea of what coins and jewelry ring up?
I don't have a target id list. I would be interested in how it you like it since you can switch between the Nox and Legend. I have not used a Nox in several years. I switch between an Etrac and the Legend. Two completely different beasts.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have it by Tuesday, hope to get out next weekend. Looking forward to learning the legend
I don't have a target id list. I would be interested in how it you like it since you can switch between the Nox and Legend. I have not used a Nox in several years. I switch between an Etrac and the Legend. Two completely different beasts.

Last edited:

MFF18B

Nov 24, 2018
SE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro’s: Bandido II µMax, Mojave
Nokta Makro: Legend
XP: Deus 2
Minelab: Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sphilips, give this video a watch. It’s kind of long but its full of the info your looking for as far as TID information. I mainly hunt coins and his numbers match mine so far and it definitely gives good info on jewelry for my reference in the future.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Legend VDIs
half cent = 46
.01 = 52 large cent
.01 = 42 zinc 46 wheat 33/41 IHP
.03 = 15
.05 = 25/26
silver nickel 37
.10 = 46/47
.25 = 50/51
.50 = 54/55
1. = 57/58 silver
ring pull tab = 33
cw bullet = 33
wedding band = 46

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The "Target ID Bible" is a great video! Because of the wide range of the VDI's for gold targets, I'm finally understanding that the Legend seems to process the impurities first then the gold content. So you can have anything from a 7 all the way up to a 51. Back in the single beep days, you'd just set your disc to the ragged edge of foil and hope for the best.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you just have to dig everything
Sphilips, give this video a watch. It’s kind of long but its full of the info your looking for as far as TID information. I mainly hunt coins and his numbers match mine so far and it definitely gives good info on jewelry for my reference in the future.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are not at all loud or distinct. As a matter of fact, without phones most people would probably pass them by. A bare "whisper" with high 40's low 50's numbers.
Great info here. Glad you shared it!

cronk

Sep 27, 2022
Indiana
Detector(s) used
EQX800, Legend
I dig hardly any deep rusty iron with the Legend, a lot less than I dig with my Etrac. If you haven't figured it out, I really like this detector. What a bargain!

Good to hear! What kind of settings are you using on your Legend?

I have <10 hours on mine and have mainly stayed in Park M1. It's doing just fine finding clads -- I just haven't put it over any good ground yet that might have older stuff.

OP
OP
R

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to hear! What kind of settings are you using on your Legend?

I have <10 hours on mine and have mainly stayed in Park M1. It's doing just fine finding clads -- I just haven't put it over any good ground yet that might have older stuff.
I have the recovery delay at 4 and the iron bias lower than the factory preset. Sorry I can't remember the exact setting. All other settings at factory and sens at 26. Also Park M1. I am more than likely shut down for the winter so I look forward to your observations.

cronk

Sep 27, 2022
Indiana
Detector(s) used
EQX800, Legend
I have the recovery delay at 4 and the iron bias lower than the factory preset. Sorry I can't remember the exact setting. All other settings at factory and sens at 26. Also Park M1. I am more than likely shut down for the winter so I look forward to your observations.
Good advice, thanks!

For the Thanksgiving holiday, I'm going to be down at an old town [relatively speaking] in southern IN close to the Ohio River, with (so far) two permissions adjacent to the town's main cemetery. Graves there date back to the 1830's. I'm hoping those properties had some traffic back in the day with people going to and from the cemetary.

Taking the Legend, and hoping for decent weather. Will report back.

Last edited:

cronk

Sep 27, 2022
Indiana
Detector(s) used
EQX800, Legend
Well, that was a bust. 8-) Detecting the empty lot next to the graveyard only yielded a small bracelet charm (aluminum) and a single zincon.

I guess the property used to be farmland (tiled for drainage), but back in the '70s it got re-graded for aesthetics. Not much traffic through there and barely any drops. Interestingly (and maybe others have seen this), most of bottle caps I dug had glass attached, like someone had just knocked off the neck of the beer bottle.

Anyways, it was still good practice w/the Legend, and I'm getting a better feel for the machine overall. I still prefer swinging the Equincox, but that could very well be due to more time on it and the after-market carbon fiber shaft.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread