Book search - Does anyone have a copy of this for lease, loan or sale?

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Does anyone have a copy of "Hurricanes of the Caribbean and Adjacent Regions, 1492 - 1800 by Millas and Pardue" that they would be willing to sell or otherwise barter away? I can't bring myself to pay the $135.00 that Alan Workman wants for his copy right now...yes. I am cheap..I mean thrifty. The St Lucie County library has a copy for a weeks loan, but this is a research book, not bedtime reading.
Let me know.
Thanks!

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You cheap skinflint!!

I'll go Halfy with you if you like.......

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have a copy of "Hurricanes of the Caribbean and Adjacent Regions, 1492 - 1800 by Millas and Pardue" that they would be willing to sell or otherwise barter away? I can't bring myself to pay the $135.00 that Alan Workman wants for his copy right now...yes. I am cheap..I mean thrifty. The St Lucie County library has a copy for a weeks loan, but this is a research book, not bedtime reading.
Let me know.
Thanks!

Check out from library and photocopy every page you did not get a chance to read in the weeks time. :P

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
AARC said:
"Check out from library and photocopy every page you did not get a chance to read in the weeks time. :P"

Well...it would sure be easier to just buy one. It is hard for me to read those double-page scans.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OR... check out... return in a week... then check out again ...

Repeat as necessary... besides... a trip to the library is never "a waist of time". heh

Can always find something worth looking up/at.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ropes are you going into the study of hurricanes ?

OR are you looking for certain things in the said book ?

EPWright

Greenie
Nov 25, 2013
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC. Great Idea. Hurricanes and lost vessels. Sound like a recipe for success. I have a question for you all. My history teacher in High School had a brother who once upon a time created a list for Billy Donovan of all the ships existing in the world prior to ww2 and following the completion of the war. This gentleman has passed. Any input or ideas ?? I am searching as SADS knows for lost ships of WW2 to include the Bermuda Triangle. Finding these lost ships is the fortune of a true treasure hunter, eh ??

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
AARC inquired:
"Ropes are you going into the study of hurricanes ?
OR are you looking for certain things in the said book ?"

I hear Jim Cantore from The Weather Channel needs a stats guy for the upcoming hurricane season. I have to study up for the interview.

Virtually all of the historic shipwrecks from the Age of Sail in this hemisphere were caused by weather (like hurricanes) forcing the ship to run aground. Seems logical to me that understanding the history of said hurricanes would be a good idea. >
"
This book, which looks very much like a PhD dissertation, is a report issued under contract to the US Weather Bureau. It is a scholarly work detailing the Caribbean hurricanes during the 15th through the 19th century"
I am also hunting Sea of Storms: A History of Hurricanes in the Greater Caribbean from Columbus to Katrina
and Winds of Change: Hurricanes & the Transformation of Nineteenth-Century Cuba
as well as maybe The Great Hurricane of 1780: The Story of the Greatest and Deadliest Hurricane of the Caribbean and the Americas
but all of these can be bought through Alibris for a few bucks.
I have diesel fuel to buy...I'm just trying to allocate my dwindling resources as best I can.
:)

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm in with SADS. How many copies are in circulation in the US ? I'll chip in too!!!

There a couple of good copies advertised for sale in the US and another in England from $135 to $175. I will likely go to the library down the road and have them borrow the St Lucie copy for me so I can judge whether it is worthy of the investment. :) It is fairly common in lending libraries from what I can see.

Speaking of lists of shipwrecks...there is a surprisingly large list here on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shipwrecks_of_the_United_States

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
when "known" lost treasure fleets and known hurricane strike "areas" from the records are co mingled the likely area of ship loss can be plotted out -- often the old records of ship loss simply say -- lost on the coast of Florida -- if thru hurricane strike area records one can know where they hit ..one can increase the chances of finding the areas of the sunken near shore treasure ships .... ships that got trapped near shore as they "dead reckoned" their way up the coast of Florida..which pre 1750 was the common method of doing things ...

once the sailors could use accurate time pieces at sea to figger out latitude they no longer had to "coast hug" to keep track of where they were ......the use of accurate time pieces in deep waters off shore , allowed they to track their location .... this kept them from being "trapped" close to shore by rapid developing storms and hurricanes which could easily occur while using the old fashioned "dead reckoning" method

Last edited:

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sent you an email Ropes, get the book, land the interview and we'll all share the bill......ha ha

Seriously, go get the job!!

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Book, Job, or both? I'll donate my share to the "Black book fund" at the cookout.......

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, I have a copy. No, it is not for sale.

But if you ask me nice I might look up information in it for you.

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, I have a copy. No, it is not for sale.

But if you ask me nice I might look up information in it for you.

I appreciate that, sir, and may yet take you up on it, but I am presently negotiating for a copy.
With the disjointed flight-of-ideas reality of what I loosely call 'research' I generally end up with a big pile of books on the desk that are adorned with post-it notes, a couple of computer monitors with 42 tabs open and a dead cell phone battery.

astralea1692

Feb 28, 2015
southwestern Indiana, USA
Detector(s) used
Nope-not yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol, you actually named a book, I don't have. FYI, if you run it thru Barnes and Nobles, they also run used books of same, like old libray rents, booksellers/stores even Goodwill's. you may get lucky n find it a lot cheaper. good luck!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me know.
Thanks!

do what I do.
take the book out. and go somewhere where they have a copy machine & charge 5 Cents per Page.

it took me about an hour & 2 2" wide 3 Ring Binders for
627 1 sided pages that are about twice their original size​
for about $35 bucks.
& easy for research. Because it's not an Original copy. Notes all over it don't Spite me :tongue3:

May take an hour, But you can make an extra Large easy to read Print Copy.
for about half that.

heck these days, if you have a Digital Camera you could probably make a disk
like a friend did with a 19th century county Atlas

DSCF0002(1).JPG

Last edited:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a real tightwad.
I take my 5 dollar thrift store tripod and my digital camera and photograph every page in which I have an interest, even if it is an entire book.
Once you get yourself set-up, it is a simple matter to photo a double page spread every 5 seconds or so.
You can photograph an entire 500 page book in under 30 minutes.
The beauty of this is that you can also photograph reference books inside your library of choice.
I just save the files to an SD card. You can save a gaggle of books on one 16 GB card.
Viewing the files in Windows Photo Viewer allows you to zoom in and out and flip pages pretty effortlessly.

Pages come out looking like this:

book photo example.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread