Boot heel plate with a heart.

Barrydang

Sep 2, 2019
alabama
Detector(s) used
minelab, fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a boot heel plate has a heart in the middle. Found it on the surface under my grandfathers house built in the 1960’s maybe late 50’s. Know the general story behind with women wearing them and why. But I don’t know if it’s that old being on the surface and my
Mom talking about how they use to play under there. It looks just like the old ones. There is known 1800’s activity here through me metal detecting. Maybe it was dug out when building the foundation. Opinions welcome.

Attachments

• 4EF5CE3D-61F7-4500-8534-A73166D88D82.jpeg
    4EF5CE3D-61F7-4500-8534-A73166D88D82.jpeg
    302.1 KB · Views: 207
Upvote 19

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a boot heel plate has a heart in the middle. Found it on the surface under my grandfathers house built in the 1960’s maybe late 50’s. Know the general story behind with women wearing them and why. But I don’t know if it’s that old being on the surface and my
Mom talking about how they use to play under there. It looks just like the old ones. There is known 1800’s activity here through me metal detecting. Maybe it was dug out when building the foundation. Opinions welcome.
Cool!!! Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Atticis

Jan 24, 2022
South Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find! I actually dug my first yesterday too. Mine has a clover instead of a heart and was found on a civil war site.

OP
OP
Barrydang

Barrydang

Sep 2, 2019
alabama
Detector(s) used
minelab, fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! I actually dug my first yesterday too. Mine has a clover instead of a heart and was found on a civil war site.
Wish I could link it to a camp. I am a few miles north of Selma. I have found a lot of melted lead and only one civil war era bullet in the property. Alotnof small caliber musket ball. A couple larger musket balls. Mostly all were fired. Lots of flat buttons and thimbles and broken plates.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a great find !
I found the same type of Civil War era "Hearts In The Sand" (as I was told it was called) Heel Plate about 8 yrs. ago.

Attachments

• MAH Finds - 7-7-12-C.JPG
    MAH Finds - 7-7-12-C.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 32

Lamy Lineman

Sep 27, 2014
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Equinox600, Whites MXT all Pro, Whites XL Pro, Whites Bullseye, Deteknix X-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this heal plate at an old 1917 to late 1920's home site. It is made of brass. Cool Find...

Attachments

• 100_0509.jpg
    100_0509.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have found one at a Union campsite. Whether these are attributed to the CW or not will always be debated. I know the story of the ladies of the evening having these as their calling card.....follow the footsteps in the sand.... but I have never bought into that. Some say the heels are too small for a mans boot, and I dont agree with that either. Many are found all worn out from honest walking and marching, and their orgins seem to nearly always point to CW camps but many will not agree.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting find

Top Member Reactions