Boot or Shoe Coil for searching in heavy brush ? ?

History101

Aug 31, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone heard or seen a detecor coil that could be incorporated into a boot or shoe?
My associate owns land where there was heavy action along the eastern front in WW2, with evidence of dugouts, however it's heavily overgrown with brush and not amenable to using a handheld device. Cost is not a factor, as the area has already yielded many artifacts. Has any one ever built or re-engneered an existing device in this way?
I have seen instructions on homemade coils, however I hope to have the quality of a high end unit, with high sensitivity and ferrous differentiation .
Any information would be appreciated
[email protected]

Last edited:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad built a BFO detector in the early 60's from a schematic in a magazine from that era. It was intended for discrete detecting in areas where it wasn't cool to do, even back then. The coil was inside a shoe and the receiver was a pocket AM radio tuned to a frequency that interacted with the coil. I've seen gold detectors with coils about 1=2 inches in diameter, never used one so can't say how they might work in your situation. Are you sure a small 4" coil wouldn't work in the heavy brush? I use one for coinshooting in trashy areas and the depth I get is almost as deep as using my standard coil, and it's not much larger than a shoe. Since you are probably searching for all metal relics, an older analog non motion machine with a small coil might work well. I've hunted American Civil War relics in brush so thick you couldn't swing the coil at all, just push it around into spots it would fit into and did well, eventually it beat the coil to death on all the trees and rocks, but I'd just buy a replacement. The other problem in heavy brush is the main box needs covering with something as limbs and brush would turn the knobs on my machine and I'd have to reset them often, and if you use earphones they get hung up on everything and are not worth using in thick brush. I hope you find some nice relics and don't have a bad experience with the ordinance still laying around waiting to create more casualties from the war. You might see if a detector manufacturer would build you a custom coil, but I imagine it would be pricey. I've built a few, but mine didn't work as well as factory built coils. Cheers!!

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe you could make one without too much trouble. Probably with no discrim unless the feedback sounds could be discerned as different from one kind of metal to the next.
You could disassemble an existing detector and maybe tie the small coil to your ankle area on its edge and hang the controls from your neck or waist!

Last edited:

WouterT

Nov 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen a military patent. So, in this patent a company name could be found. It was really recent. Not older than one year.

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hrmmmm,,,
Sounds like someone might try to detect where it isn't allowed. Hehhehheh
That's just how the opening post read to me, that's the first thing that I thought of.

lol

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm
Maybe use a Pin-pointer??
The Deepest one you can find at that.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out or google Wizard detectors. I think I posted up some pictures a few years ago. Wow! now that I think about it I'm not sure they're still in business anymore. They make / made detectors that were intended for stud finders and they made one to strap on the side of your shoe. Got it as a joke gift. Tried it a couple of times but it was a TR and constantly needed to be tuned. Good idea! Lousy circuitry. LEt me know if you can't find it & I'll dig it out of the back of the shop & post some pics.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An Eliptical coil would be more practical. If you are trying to detct on the down low, a friend of mine built a concentric coil in the bottom of his tennis shoe. The wire goes up his pant leg to the Tesoro Compadre control box in his pocket. I think he disabled the speaker, and uses small earphones. Does very well in the Sheep Pasture in Central Park, in Manhattan. :skullflag:

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
If your associate owns the land, and cost is not a factor, there are several existing gadgets that will help enable you to locate the remaining treasures. The first gadgets I would use in situations like that would be bush hogs, lawn mowers, weed eaters and the like.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a bounty hunter platinum that wasn't being used so I removed the
Control box and bought a 4" coil for it.
I cut down the lower rod to make a handle for the coil. I put the control box
In a belt pouch like a large belly bag. This has resulted in a repackaged detector that is useful in cellar holes
And tight places where a regular detector won't go. The depth with the 4" coil is not great but the tones indicate the basic metal being detected
And in tight places you really don't want to be digging anything deep, just cherry picking.

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
Has anyone heard or seen a detecor coil that could be incorporated into a boot or shoe?
My associate owns land where there was heavy action along the eastern front in WW2, with evidence of dugouts, however it's heavily overgrown with brush and not amenable to using a handheld device. Cost is not a factor, as the area has already yielded many artifacts. Has any one ever built or re-engneered an existing device in this way?
I have seen instructions on homemade coils, however I hope to have the quality of a high end unit, with high sensitivity and ferrous differentiation .
Any information would be appreciated
[email protected]
I tthink it would work,but you would have to play some Irish Jig Music over Loudspeakers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread