Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Polish_20211018_011711933.jpg

Went back to the newly discovered site from two days ago. This place is huge! Put in a new trench and unearthed some stellar finds! And I think we can now place a pretty good date for it. It all came down to this bottle:
20211018_011838.jpg

Pickman's Chocolate, with its whimsical smiling half moon mascot, was only in production from 1910-1917. This information coupled with the 1916 mercury dime from two days ago attests we are in a site that likely dates from about 1916-1917 although there may be some artifacts from both before and after this date as well (given the uncertainty of human activity over the ages). The Pickman's Chocolate was the first find of the day and it really boosted my drive to keep digging in the area.
20211018_010010-jpg.1985884

Second find of the day was this stunning "OATS" bottle made by the famed, and my favorite glassworks, Whitall Tatum Co.! This is a hand-tooled bottle. I'm not quite sure what "OATS" were exactly but it was likely some type of medicine.
20211017_153954.jpg

Fresh from the ground!

20211018_011736.jpg

This is the bottom of the OATS bottle. Always look for the "W. T. Co." stamp on glassware as this company was one of the first US glass factories, operating from 1806–1938!
20211018_010038.jpg

Another very nice hand-tooled bottle. This is from the Neergaard Pharmacy located on 85th Street on Broadway.

This pharmacy was founded in 1888 by Julius De Neergaard, a dutch immigrant, and believe it or not, besides a change of address - the buisness is still in operation to this day! Julius had a son named William who in 1916 became a pharmacist and then fought in the trenches of WWI for 15 months. Upon returning home he ran the pharmacy and then had a son of his own, also named William. This William fought in WWII and also became a pharmacist and expanded the business. His relatives still run the buisness to this day.

This bottle is likely from about 1916-1917 so corresponds to the time that Julius's son William would have either just become a pharmacist or was already at war in the trenches with the American Expeditionary Force. Given the two possible scenarios this bottle likely once graced the hands of either Julius, William or both, and that's pretty amazing to think about. (All information gathered regarding the history of this company was found on their website. I find it kind of funny that a 100+ year old long-burried bottle was still able to successfully advertise a viable service to me - and now you too).
20211017_154310.jpg

Fresh from the ground.

20211018_010105.jpg

This next bottle is also hand-tooled and simply says, "METROPOLITAN DISTRIBUTING CO. NEW YORK" I couldn't find any information on this one.

20211018_010230.jpg

This is a one pint slug plate milk bottle from MALONE DAIRY CO. It indicates that it contains both MILK & CREAM and there is a lovely bushell of wheat imagine in the center.

20211018_010252.jpg

Now here's an interesting, albeit highly damaged, bottle. It is a hand-tooled crown-top slug plate mineral water bottle. It says DOBB'S FERRY on the top and indicates it comes from WHITE PLAINS NY. This bottle is unfortunately covered in chips and cracks, a symptom of poor quality glass coupled with exposure to a harsh environment for 100+ years.

20211018_010538.jpg

Now take a look at this thing! It has a hand-tooled cork top with a completely rounded bottom. I have no idea what this is or why it looks like this, it has no markings of any kind. Best guess is it may have once been like one of those champagne bottles with a wicker basket-looking thing tied to the bottom to give it a base to stand on.
20211018_010332.jpg

Now here's a weirdo. A bottle with a hand-applied tooled crown top. Definetly seeing something of the technological transitions of the times with this one.
20211018_011823.jpg

This is the bottom of the weird bottle, I think it says 'A 1710'. No idea what it means.

20211018_010125.jpg

I pulled two of these warranted strap-sided Union flasks out today. I remember when I would find these only once every few months, now they're litterally everywhere at this new site. Can't complain!

20211018_010730.jpg

The hunt would not be complete without a clay marble. There appears to be no glass marbles at this site, a good sign of its age.

20211018_010746.jpg

A doorknob.

20211018_010706.jpg

A gigantic hand-tooled slick medicine bottle.

Polish_20211018_031422352.jpg

And finally a bottle I almost completely forgot about, even neglecting to include it in the group picture, the machine-made outcast simply called: WHITEHURST. This bottle was manufactured by Illinois Glass (operated from 1916 to 1929). It contained a quack medicine of some kind.

And that's all for now. :)

Attachments

• 20211018_010010.jpg
    20211018_010010.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 615
Upvote 25

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1985882
Went back to the newly discovered site from two days ago. This place is huge! Put in a new trench and unearthed some stellar finds! And I think we can now place a pretty good date for it. It all came down to this bottle: View attachment 1985883
Pickman's Chocolate, with its whimsical smiling half moon mascot, was only in production from 1910-1917. This information coupled with the 1916 mercury dime from two days ago attests we are in a site that likely dates from about 1916-1917 although there may be some artifacts from both before and after this date as well (given the uncertainty of human activity over the ages). The Pickman's Chocolate was the first find of the day and it really boosted my drive to keep digging in the area.

Second find of the day was this stunning "OATS" bottle made by the famed, and my favorite glassworks, Whitall Tatum Co.! This is a hand-tooled bottle. I'm not quite sure what "OATS" were exactly but it was likely some type of medicine.
View attachment 1985886
Fresh from the ground!

View attachment 1985885
This is the bottom of the OATS bottle. Always look for the "W. T. Co." stamp on glassware as this company was one of the first US glass factories, operating from 1806–1938!
View attachment 1985887
Another very nice hand-tooled bottle. This is from the Neergaard Pharmacy located on 85th Street on Broadway.

This pharmacy was founded in 1888 by Julius De Neergaard, a dutch immigrant, and believe it or not, besides a change of address - the buisness is still in operation to this day! Julius had a son named William who in 1916 became a pharmacist and then fought in the trenches of WWI for 15 months. Upon returning home he ran the pharmacy and then had a son of his own, also named William. This William fought in WWII and also became a pharmacist and expanded the business. His relatives still run the buisness to this day.

This bottle is likely from about 1916-1917 so corresponds to the time that Julius's son William would have either just become a pharmacist or was already at war in the trenches with the American Expeditionary Force. Given the two possible scenarios this bottle likely once graced the hands of either Julius, William or both, and that's pretty amazing to think about. (All information gathered regarding the history of this company was found on their website. I find it kind of funny that a 100+ year old long-burried bottle was still able to successfully advertise a viable service to me - and now you too). View attachment 1985888
Fresh from the ground.

View attachment 1985889
This next bottle is also hand-tooled and simply says, "METROPOLITAN DISTRIBUTING CO. NEW YORK" I couldn't find any information on this one.

View attachment 1985891
This is a one pint slug plate milk bottle from MALONE DAIRY CO. It indicates that it contains both MILK & CREAM and there is a lovely bushell of wheat imagine in the center.

View attachment 1985892
Now here's an interesting, albeit highly damaged, bottle. It is a hand-tooled crown-top slug plate mineral water bottle. It says DOBB'S FERRY on the top and indicates it comes from WHITE PLAINS NY. This bottle is unfortunately covered in chips and cracks, a symptom of poor quality glass coupled with exposure to a harsh environment for 100+ years.

View attachment 1985893
Now take a look at this thing! It has a hand-tooled cork top with a completely rounded bottom. I have no idea what this is or why it looks like this, it has no markings of any kind. Best guess is it may have once been like one of those champagne bottles with a wicker basket-looking thing tied to the bottom to give it a base to stand on.
View attachment 1985894
Now here's a weirdo. A bottle with a hand-applied tooled crown top. Definetly seeing something of the technological transitions of the times with this one.
View attachment 1985895
This is the bottom of the weird bottle, I think it says 'A 1710'. No idea what it means.

View attachment 1985896
I pulled two of these warranted strap-sided Union flasks out today. I remember when I would find these only once every few months, now they're litterally everywhere at this new site. Can't complain!

View attachment 1985897
The hunt would not be complete without a clay marble. There appears to be no glass marbles at this site, a good sign of its age.

View attachment 1985898
A doorknob.

View attachment 1985899

View attachment 1985901
And finally a bottle I almost completely forgot about, even neglecting to include it in the group picture, the machine-made outcast simply called: WHITEHURST. This bottle was manufactured by Illinois Glass (operated from 1916 to 1929). It contained a quack medicine of some kind.

Nice!!! Congrats!!!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1985882
Went back to the newly discovered site from two days ago. This place is huge! Put in a new trench and unearthed some stellar finds! And I think we can now place a pretty good date for it. It all came down to this bottle: View attachment 1985883

View attachment 1985886
Fresh from the ground!

View attachment 1985885
View attachment 1985887

This bottle is likely from about 1916-1917 so corresponds to the time that Julius's son William would have either just become a pharmacist or was already at war in the trenches with the American Expeditionary Force. Given the two possible scenarios this bottle likely once graced the hands of either Julius, William or both, and that's pretty amazing to think about. (All information gathered regarding the history of this company was found on their website. I find it kind of funny that a 100+ year old long-burried bottle was still able to successfully advertise a viable service to me - and now you too). View attachment 1985888
Fresh from the ground.

View attachment 1985889

View attachment 1985891

View attachment 1985892

View attachment 1985893
View attachment 1985894
View attachment 1985895

View attachment 1985896

View attachment 1985897

View attachment 1985898
A doorknob.

View attachment 1985899

View attachment 1985901

Well Done Awesome Recoveries

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Far from expert but I would think the round bottom bottle is imported soda of some sort. Not allowing it to stand upright kept the salt air whilst on the boat from drying out and popping the cork. I could be way off. NICE GLASS! Grats and thanks for the post.

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
love that amber Pickmans Chocolate bottle.

i have found a couple of those round bottom bottles while diving in the Raritan bay area for bottles in an area i find a fair amount of torpedo, round bottom , codds and hutch bottles

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The round bottom one is definitely a wine, a fiasco or chianti. I like that sloppy applied crown top. Nice druggist bottles too!
villagenut is right about the round bottom bottle. I have removed the basket from Chianti bottles and that is what they look like.

08CBA003-E7E2-42AF-A6ED-C18E07B52A43.jpeg

congratulations on all your great bottle finds. You are in a great spot.

Stay safe, good luck nw keep diggin.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What an amazing variety and age range of your bottle finds UnderMiner! :thumbsup:
Thank you for supplying all of the historical background info as well, this is what makes your post so enjoyable to read.
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions