Bottle Digging And Return To The Pounded Park. First V Nickel, 1926 SLQ and IHP.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again. Had another great day yesterday. Perfect weather, low 70s all day. Went back to the pounded park where I pulled my Barber Half and other silvers last weekend. Was joking with my wife before I left saying "I just want an Indian and a V Nickel today"

Well I got exactly what I hoped for. Bout 30 minutes in, I popped a 1902 Indian. First one I've found in years. 20 minutes later I get my first V Nickel ,1907 about 10 feet away from the IHP!

Was a funny feeling to call my finds for the day and get them both in the first hour. Maybe I'll wish for a gold coin next time lol. Little while later I get the SLQ with a date! Woohoo great return trip to the park. I will be going back again, thats for sure.

After detecting I met up with another buddy to dig some glass at a dump site I found a few weeks ago. It was too nice out to call it a day after detecting. Found a few keepers. Nothing terribly old but always nice to find glass in the pit. Favorites are the aqua Ball Mason Jar and the Cobalt Torpedo perfume bottle. Still smelled like perfume because the top was still sealed. From what I can tell the perfume was called A Night In Paris.

Here is everything cleaned up for your enjoyment. I found a LED light box while shopping a few weeks ago. I really like the way the colors pop in it. Anyways good luck and happy hunting everyone.

-Centsless

20220424_160529_Film1.jpg

20220424_160458_Film1.jpg

20220424_093450_Film1.jpg

20220424_093554_Film1.jpg

Upvote 22

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds- Congrats!! I agree, wish for that gold coin next:icon_thumleft: I'm an SLQ collector and love seeing them posted- yours looks exactly like the first one I found, same date and condition.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again. Had another great day yesterday. Perfect weather, low 70s all day. Went back to the pounded park where I pulled my Barber Half and other silvers last weekend. Was joking with my wife before I left saying "I just want an Indian and a V Nickel today"

Well I got exactly what I hoped for. Bout 30 minutes in, I popped a 1902 Indian. First one I've found in years. 20 minutes later I get my first V Nickel ,1907 about 10 feet away from the IHP!

Was a funny feeling to call my finds for the day and get them both in the first hour. Maybe I'll wish for a gold coin next time lol. Little while later I get the SLQ with a date! Woohoo great return trip to the park. I will be going back again, thats for sure.

After detecting I met up with another buddy to dig some glass at a dump site I found a few weeks ago. It was too nice out to call it a day after detecting. Found a few keepers. Nothing terribly old but always nice to find glass in the pit. Favorites are the aqua Ball Mason Jar and the Cobalt Torpedo perfume bottle. Still smelled like perfume because the top was still sealed. From what I can tell the perfume was called A Night In Paris.

Here is everything cleaned up for your enjoyment. I found a LED light box while shopping a few weeks ago. I really like the way the colors pop in it. Anyways good luck and happy hunting everyone.

-Centsless

View attachment 2022904

View attachment 2022905

View attachment 2022906

View attachment 2022907
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice when you can fulfill the wishlist like that, well done.
Liking the sealer, it has a real nice color to it.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

-Centsless

View attachment 2022904

View attachment 2022905

View attachment 2022906

View attachment 2022907
really nice set of coins, love the SLQ but that V is in really great shape. well done

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the kind words. So glad to be out swinging and diging again.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds - lighting aside, any tips for cleaning old nickels? That V looks fantastic.
Thanks Clad Crusader. For the V and the IHP I soaked them in olive oil for a few hours. Then I took a wood toothpick and gently scraped the dirt off. I'll find the before pic and post it later. It helped that they were found in soft sandy soil.

Clad Crusader

Nov 16, 2020
Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Clad Crusader. For the V and the IHP I soaked them in olive oil for a few hours. Then I took a wood toothpick and gently scraped the dirt off. I'll find the before pic and post it later. It helped that they were found in soft sandy soil.
OK interesting. I feel like every time I find a Buffalo or V t look decent coming out but then I take soap water and a tooth brush to it and it just ends up being this crusty dry red color. I'm gonna try that oil approach - thanks

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK interesting. I feel like every time I find a Buffalo or V t look decent coming out but then I take soap water and a tooth brush to it and it just ends up being this crusty dry red color. I'm gonna try that oil approach - thanks
Yeah water, soap and tooth brush is pretty harsh on copper coins. Best to go slow and do a few rounds with the toothpick not to over do it. Here is what they looked like before cleaning. Lost some patina on the V but still turned out pretty nice I think.

20220424_094037_Film1.jpg

20220424_094116_Film1.jpg

Clad Crusader

Nov 16, 2020
Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread