Bounty Hunter Commando questions

leadsled

Apr 19, 2012
ATX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Commando
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought the Bounty Hunter Commando about 2 1/2 years ago on sale and has sat until last week. Took it out to practice in my yard (2 acres) and am absolutely hooked. Found junk so far, but it is good practice. Can't go more than a foot without a hit in the ALL METAL mode.

This leads me to my questions the manual is unclear about. If I am using the FULL DISCRIMINATE mode, the manual says to adjust the DISCRIMINATE control higher to increase the range of discrimination. Does the SENSITIVITY knob have any affect in the FULL DISCRIMINATE mode? Same question for the TONE DISCRIMINATE mode.

I tried messing with the SENSITIVITY in these two modes, but the objects were relatively close to the surface I couldn't tell a difference.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Also, anyone from the Austin, TX area? Looking for areas that are open to the hobby.

OP
OP
leadsled

leadsled

Apr 19, 2012
ATX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Commando
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome site!

Mike T

Oct 4, 2006
Sensitivity controls the amount of power you're putting out.Its like the accelerator on a car, but sometimes less is better; if the ground is heavily mineralized causing the detector to react unstably. Generally you want to set it as high as you can and run smoothly, without chirping and false signals. Don't worry if sometimes you have to set it lower than you'd like, theres still lots of power transmitting.
The discrimination conrols how high on the spectrum you want to eliminate targets. This you want to keep as low as possible, but in a junk infested site you have to move it up.
Heres what I do- set your Sens as high as you can and be stable, take a nickle and put it on the ground, swing the detector back and forth as you move the Disc control just until the nickle disapeers, stop, turn back a tiny bit just so you can hear the nickle again, leave it there. You are now set to reject most trash but will still pick up all coins, jewellry, gold and unfortunatly some pulltabs. In time you will be able to tell a pulltab without digging.
I leave a nickle in the laces of my shoe and every once in a while I swing over to make sure I'm still getting it. Most Gold registers close to the nickle so the nickle is important to detect.
Good luck
The two act seperately of each other. Turnig the Disc up high doesn't effect the Sens or vice versa.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread