Bounty Hunter IV- Is barebones better?

Hunt Diggerson

Apr 11, 2021
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I recently purchased a BH-IV and I don't know if I like it or not. It was reasonably priced and since my Garrett is in storage, I figured it would do. It seems like it has no bells and whistles, and I am wondering if that is a good thing in terms of really knowing how to set and read your detector for what kind of hunting you are doing.
I do it all, depending on mood and research, and I am used to my Garrett that has a digital display showing depth and likely target. It also allows you to notch out metals, without guesswork. Instead of having to really learn how to use discrimination knobs.
I have learned alot using it, formulas dialed in and adjusting on the fly. But I don't like the fact that it doesn't have four separate tones, especially one for brass.
Am I just spoiled from using detectors that do everything? Or is using a barebones machine a good thing?

OP
OP
H

Hunt Diggerson

Apr 11, 2021
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It will make you a better detectorist in the long run as you will learn techniques that can be applied to more up to date sophisticated detectors.

Best of luck and discovery on your journey!

Well put Old Bean. Thanks for the support.

Doubloony

Apr 8, 2021
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a BH IV for back-up and for places where I'm scared to take my Tesoro's. Same principle. After so many hours, especially around 100 hours on one, like Garrett has mentioned, it becomes natural, without a need for digital display. When I'm with my Tesoro's, I know pretty much 95% of the time what is in the ground when I get a signal. It does help, a lot, but being a relic hunter as well, I dig most everything anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions