🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Brass Civil war shoulder board?

Nathan6309

May 15, 2018
Botetourt County, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Macro Siplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody! Got to spend some time at my family’s property this weekend and found this sheet brass rectangle that was found right where this oak leaf was. I know I told people in the past that the oak leaf has a threaded connector, making it post civil war, but, upon further inspection, I realized it was actually just really rusty. It looks like the rectangle may have been slightly longer at one point, but the end has sheared off. I know this one is a serious long shot, but I’ve found a plethora of other civil war relics at this area in the past, so I thought I’d ask. If anybody needs any further clarification or photos, don’t hesitate to ask! Thanks in advance for any assistance with the ID of this piece!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 155
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 65

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Well the Oak Leaf is definitely in the style of the period. So I'd say if bronze in color it would be a Major's rank insignia.

I don't know enough about early US Military rank insignia to say whether the board is part of it or not. Any metallic shoulder boards I've seen have been curved/bowed to fit the natural curve of the shoulder. Plus most of the rank I've seen has been done in cloth and bullion.

Examples of Major's rank insignia. Top one Civil War Era, bottom one Indian War Era.

20220903_231741.jpg

20220903_231800.jpg

Upvote 6

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Did a little checking....Some shoulder boards/straps had a brass frame/backer (Faux bullion), with color cloth (Blue Infantry, Yellow Cavalry, etc) attached in the center to denote the branch within the Army.

That said, it looks like you found part of a pre 1900s Major's shoulder strap. I don't know enough to narrow it down more, date wise.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
Nathan6309

Nathan6309

May 15, 2018
Botetourt County, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Macro Siplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did a little checking....Some shoulder boards/straps had a brass frame/backer (Faux bullion), with color cloth (Blue Infantry, Yellow Cavalry, etc) attached in the center to denote the branch within the Army.

That said, it looks like you found part of a pre 1900s Major's shoulder strap. I don't know enough to narrow it down more, date wise.
That you so much Sarge! I had a feeling that it was something interesting. On my other sites I usually just pass it off as miscellaneous brass and continue, but I’ve found so many documented CW non-regulation uniform accoutrements at this site that I couldn’t just put this piece aside.

Upvote 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread