✅ SOLVED Brass finial or rein guide or ?

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finial.jpg
Found this detecting near a brick farm house built in 1839 and inhabited until recently. At the bottom of the 1st picture there are 1-2 threads however no maker's mark appears. Looked at 100s of Google images and several treasurenet postings without a close match. According to a history book a log cabin occupied the site before the farm house was built. Found artifacts spanning this period from a flat button with “LONDON” and 3 stars on the back side to modern coins. Any help with ID and/or age is appreciated.

Attachments

• Finial edge.jpg
    Finial edge.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Finial end.jpg
    Finial end.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Solution
Almost certainly not a finial.

As a general "rule of thumb" ... finials are almost always threaded inside.... aka "female".

Possible guide but could be many things... even from hitch post.
Fancy rein guide.
I concur on the female, never seen a male.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As a general "rule of thumb" ... finials are almost always threaded inside.... aka "female".

Upvote 3

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2047217 Found this detecting near a brick farm house built in 1839 and inhabited until recently. At the bottom of the 1st picture there are 1-2 threads however no maker's mark appears. Looked at 100s of Google images and several treasurenet postings without a close match. According to a history book a log cabin occupied the site before the farm house was built. Found artifacts spanning this period from a flat button with “LONDON” and 3 stars on the back side to modern coins. Any help with ID and/or age is appreciated.
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Upvote 1
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hanging lamp finial
images
ticndig, thanks for the ID and pic - will definitely look into it. Can you post the website where you found the picture? Want to get a better look...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks ARC. You are correct about the general rule. Will look at hitching posts also.

Reactions: ARC
Upvote 1

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Fancy rein guide.
I concur on the female, never seen a male.

Upvote 4
Solution
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All re-looking at an old thread the bottom of my find does look similar to a pair of rein guides in post #6 (see pic below) - so will mark this solved. Thanks to all!

Attachments

• Fancy rein guide.jpg
    Fancy rein guide.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 3

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The key ID-clue is the object's "provision for attachment." You noticed that on yours the attachment-form matches the typical late-1800s/early-1900s rein guide (a.k.a. "rein terret"). As ARC already astutely noted, "tabletop" lamp and oil/kerosene heater finials always have female threads. A hanging-lamp finial would have to include a way to attach the finial "from above." Notice that no wear-marks at all show at the top of your finial, where a hanging-cord or chain would've had to have been attached... so apparently, it was never hung from something over head. Definitely a rein guide.

Attachments

• horsegear_rein-guide_1906-PATENT-diagram_USpatent819749.png
    horsegear_rein-guide_1906-PATENT-diagram_USpatent819749.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 28
  • horsegear_reinguide-terret_Buggy-harness_Wikipedia.jpg
    horsegear_reinguide-terret_Buggy-harness_Wikipedia.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 23
  • horsegear_Rein-Guide-with-iron-retaining-collar-attached_TN.jpg
    horsegear_Rein-Guide-with-iron-retaining-collar-attached_TN.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 20
  • horsegear_reins-guides_Ebay.jpg
    horsegear_reins-guides_Ebay.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 26
Upvote 5
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The key ID-clue is the object's "provision for attachment." You noticed that on yours the attachment-form matches the typical late-1800s/early-1900s rein guide (a.k.a. "rein terret"). As ARC already astutely noted, "tabletop" lamp and oil/kerosene heater finials always have female threads. A hanging-lamp finial would have to include a way to attach the finial "from above." Notice that no wear-marks at all show at the top of your finial, where a hanging-cord or chain would've had to have been attached... so apparently, it was never hung from something over head. Definitely a rein guide.
CBG, as always thanks for the confirmation and education!

Upvote 1

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you look at the top picture you see Jagged and rough edges. They would tear up any leather that went through. It may be a type of Horse or animal tack but I do not think leather was used inside it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i do not think a rein type guide would have sharp edges
Gare, me neither. All those I've found prior are circular - which is why I posted on TNet.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gare said:
> I do not think a rein type guide would have sharp edges.

invent4hir replied:
> Gare, me neither. All those I've found prior are circular - which is why I posted on TNet.

Okay then, please take a close look at the rein-guides at the lower-right edge and center-left edge and at the bottom edge of this early-1900s advertisement... where you'll see several which are (hollow) diamond-shaped.

Attachments

• Horsegear_rein-guide_terrets_horse-harness_Fly-Head-Terrets_catalog.jpg
    Horsegear_rein-guide_terrets_horse-harness_Fly-Head-Terrets_catalog.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 32
Upvote 3
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gare said:
> I do not think a rein type guide would have sharp edges.

invent4hir replied:
> Gare, me neither. All those I've found prior are circular - which is why I posted on TNet.

Okay then, please take a close look at the rein-guides at the lower-right edge and center-left edge and at the bottom edge of this early-1900s advertisement... where you'll see several which are (hollow) diamond-shaped.
CBG, yes I remember that picture in the "old link" I posted last Tuesday. Researching more the same picture appears on The National Horse Brass Society website in a discussion about Fly Head Terrets which according to the article were worn on a horse's head and other parts of the harness such as the cart saddle or even on rump straps. Mainly for decorative purposes. I was under the impression that a rein guide on the other hand is what reins are passed through to prevent them from getting tangled-up.

Still I believe what I found is a fancy rein guide given other characteristics discussed earlier. Plus what appears to be sharp edges in the first picture would run parallel with the reins. So the likelihood of cutting the reins is probably negligible. Had those edges run perpendicular to the reins I think it would cause more wear/tear.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread