Brass I button, anyone have a clue

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this week by a friend. It doesnt match anything i have seen. Any comments, welcome.
1.5 inches in diameter, brass, very heavy. An unknown camp at present.
Thanks fo
20230106_160353.jpg
r looking.

Last edited:
Upvote 3
OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What does the other side look like? I think your picture shows the back with a broken attachment. The thin line is a mold seam.
That is the front, with the I damaged. The back is brass, green, slick, eyelet in middle. No backstamp. I will attempt to add the backside photo, to my thread.

OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, forget my theory! I don't know what it is now. I will say that I have never seen a flat button with an "I" that pronounced.
Thank you.

GDub62

Feb 2, 2022
Georgia
Still not convinced it's a button even with shank on back. You said it was heavy. Looks more like lead to me. Some kind of connector though. Curious about this one

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
At 1.5 inches in diameter, two possibilities come to mind. The first is a broken link from a chain pump, and the second is a broken trip link from an old check row corn planter.

ColtsPop

Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your button is likely pewter and probably a 1st South Carolina Revolutionary War button. One of the more common South Carolina types but still a great find! Reference Insignia of independence by Troiani and Kochan

ColtsPop

Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your button is likely pewter and probably a 1st South Carolina Revolutionary War button. One of the more common South Carolina types but still a great find! Reference Insignia of independence by Troiani and Kochan
By the way - Please don't guess if you don't know - it redirects the though process of those that might and makes you look, well, you know, when someone knows what it is.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
By the way - Please don't guess if you don't know - it redirects the though process of those that might and makes you look, well, you know, when someone knows what it is.
Are you talking to yourself, or was this directed at somebody?

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang it. Gonna be pretty boring waiting for you to weigh in with the truth. But thanks. Excellent suggestion.

By the way. You stated the above immediately after writing " 'likely' pewter " and " 'probably' a 1st South Carolina War Button." Those are uncertain terms. Just saying.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reply, incuding back side of I button.
Glad you were able to post pics here , I don't recall seeing the back and it's shank in yr E-mail .

That's an interesting Button ? Find indeed .

God Bless & Great Luck over there in AL .

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, forget my theory! I don't know what it is now. I will say that I have never seen a flat button with an "I" that pronounced.
Your comment mirrors my thoughts on this exactly.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang it. Gonna be pretty boring waiting for you to weigh in with the truth. But thanks. Excellent suggestion.

By the way. You stated the above immediately after writing " 'likely' pewter " and " 'probably' a 1st South Carolina War Button." Those are uncertain terms. Just saying.
FWIW

I thought it may be Pewter or Zinc when I first saw it , now Ill hope for My awesome Friend & Cousin Alabama 11 that it's a rare one .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions