Brass Novelty Tooth Pick?

mdmike

Nov 4, 2004
Found this man-shaped jack knife - like item many years ago in NW CT. Home was from the 1850s i believe, but most of the stuff there was from the early 1900s. It has no markings and is composed of thin brass plates like a jack knife. it has two "blades" that fold completely behind the two identical side plates. The one swiveling accessory looks to be a tooth pick -like function and the other is just the manly parts of the man. I'm thinking its from the early 1900s time frame and is possibly a sales item. 2.5" tall. Any ideas?

attachment.php

Attachments

• SANY6748.JPG
    SANY6748.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 181

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pipe bowl cleaner I'd suspect.
Would work for a crude awl too maybe.

Probably right, I think...the feet would work as a tamp. A word came into use as an euphemism for the male member several hundred years ago so maybe it could be a novelty "prick" of some kind also.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would agree with "pipe knife", although the term "knife" is used somewhat loosely for these things. Some incorporate a true blade and some don't. Fun item!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mdmike

Nov 4, 2004
when you said knife, i thought about a crude cigar cutter, but typically they were made to keep the cigar round vs. a shearing action....

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when you said knife, i thought about a crude cigar cutter, but typically they were made to keep the cigar round vs. a shearing action....

No, the term 'knife' is used loosely. Usually they're 'multi-tools' like a miniature Swiss Army Knife, but with the tools aimed at pipe-smokers. Usually there's something for bowl-scraping, a stem 'ramrod' and sometimes a short general-purpose blade. As CreakyDigger said, one end of the handle is often designed for tamping. The one my grandfather used had the tamper as an additional fold-out tool with a swivelled metal mushroom-like button on the end that acted as tamping surface, but could be neatly folded back into the handle with the button swivelled flush to the tool.

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found this man-shaped jack knife

attachment.php

Yep, it's "man shaped" alright, and leaves no doubt at all about gender identity.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread