invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this detecting near a brick farm house built in 1839 and inhabited until recently. Looking at the 1st picture the horizontal part is a pipe that connects the 2 vertical sides. The opening of the pipe can be seen in the last 2 pictures. No maker's mark appears. Looked at 100s of Google images and several treasurenet postings without a close match. According to a history book a log cabin occupied the site before the farm house was built. Found artifacts spanning this period from a flat button with “LONDON” and 3 stars on the back side to modern coins. Any help with ID and/or age is appreciated.

A1.jpg

Attachments

• A2.jpg
    A2.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 68
  • A3.jpg
    A3.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 66
  • A4.jpg
    A4.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 63
  • A5.jpg
    A5.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 70
  • A6.jpg
    A6.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 60
  • A7.jpg
    A7.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 61
  • A8.jpg
    A8.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 59
  • A9.jpg
    A9.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 55

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Very strange piece! I like the crudeness about it. That would definitely be mounted and hung for a conversation piece.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very strange piece! I like the crudeness about it. That would definitely be mounted and hung for a conversation piece.
creskol, I agree. This has to be among the most unusual things I've ever dug. The only other thing I could think of is part of an old car - but that is a wag too.

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
creskol, I agree. This has to be among the most unusual things I've ever dug. The only other thing I could think of is part of an old car - but that is a wag too.
Back in the 1800's old farms and rural houses had brick outbuildings, a good distance from the main house, where they had carbide drips to make gas for their house lights. I want to say that it is a piece of that apparatus, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 1800's old farms and rural houses had brick outbuildings, a good distance from the main house, where they had carbide drips to make gas for their house lights. I want to say that it is a piece of that apparatus, but I wouldn't swear to it.
creskol, wow thanks for the lead - I would never have thought that - but will definitely look into it.

Upvote 0

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very unique find

Upvote 1

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gare, thanks! Seems like I'm digging more unique finds this season than most.
Well keep posting :) Maybe some time we will get one RIGHT LOL

Upvote 2

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a plumber might have a good idea

Upvote 1
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a part from an old lawn sprinkler?
Thanks DCMatt, I'll look into that. I'm also thinking of showing it to some antique car buffs to get their thoughts.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a plumber might have a good idea
Gare, that is a good tip. The last property I detected was owned by a family who renovates homes - so I showed them. They hadn't seen anything like it. Guess I'll keep trying...

Upvote 0

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is some kind of spigot but I am old and do not remember it at all

Upvote 2

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is some kind of spigot but I am old and do not remember it at all
I considered that possibility. But since it doesn't have threads, I didn't think it would work well as a spigot or valve. I don't get the impression that this is a precision part... That's why I suggested "lawn sprinkler".

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
I've never seen one of these, but using my imagination... WAG
I think the spigot idea is it.
The end with the through hole would have the handle/valve part in the tapered vertical hole, tensioned with a washer spring and nut.
The other end with a bottom in its cup would go inside of a galvanized rain barrel at the bottom edge.
The "cup" would keep sediment from pouring out when the valve was opened.
The large flange would have been to solder it to the barrels side.

Upvote 2

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huntingdog we think a lot alike

Upvote 1

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOT saying ours in the correct answer . But it is someplace to start thinking

Upvote 1

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this detecting near a brick farm house built in 1839 and inhabited until recently. Looking at the 1st picture the horizontal part is a pipe that connects the 2 vertical sides. The opening of the pipe can be seen in the last 2 pictures. No maker's mark appears. Looked at 100s of Google images and several treasurenet postings without a close match. According to a history book a log cabin occupied the site before the farm house was built. Found artifacts spanning this period from a flat button with “LONDON” and 3 stars on the back side to modern coins. Any help with ID and/or age is appreciated.

View attachment 2047233
It’s part of a barrel tap

Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread