invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this detecting near a brick farm house built in 1839 and inhabited until recently. Looking at the 1st picture the horizontal part is a pipe that connects the 2 vertical sides. The opening of the pipe can be seen in the last 2 pictures. No maker's mark appears. Looked at 100s of Google images and several treasurenet postings without a close match. According to a history book a log cabin occupied the site before the farm house was built. Found artifacts spanning this period from a flat button with “LONDON” and 3 stars on the back side to modern coins. Any help with ID and/or age is appreciated.

A1.jpg

Attachments

• A2.jpg
    A2.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 68
  • A3.jpg
    A3.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 66
  • A4.jpg
    A4.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 63
  • A5.jpg
    A5.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 70
  • A6.jpg
    A6.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 60
  • A7.jpg
    A7.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 61
  • A8.jpg
    A8.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 59
  • A9.jpg
    A9.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen one of these, but using my imagination... WAG
I think the spigot idea is it.
The end with the through hole would have the handle/valve part in the tapered vertical hole, tensioned with a washer spring and nut.
The other end with a bottom in its cup would go inside of a galvanized rain barrel at the bottom edge.
The "cup" would keep sediment from pouring out when the valve was opened.
The large flange would have been to solder it to the barrels side.
Huntindog, thanks I like your imagination in trying to figure out in detail how it was used. I looked at several pics of old barrels and just saw basic spigots/taps. Will keep looking and show to the property owner next week who has a similar home nearby and may have seen something like it there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Showed the property owner today and they haven't a clue. Want to thank each of you again who commented. I'll move on to the next mystery artifact.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread