Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A friend of mine found two of these tips on top of an old fur trade fort site here in Ontario.
The other two tips were found on very old water route fur trade stops, that were not considered to be 'fort sites'.

The consensus seems to be that they're early umbrella tips, but we'd love to hear any additional theories you might have about these.
Personally, I don't think umbrellas would've been used at early fur trade sites. :dontknow:

Thanks very much,
Dave

Attachments

• 644427543.jpg
    644427543.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 86
  • 644427583.jpg
    644427583.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 644427652.jpg
    644427652.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 644427616.jpg
    644427616.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 60

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look very similar to Scabbard Tips, but very ornamental. But does look like it was connected to leather or wood

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends on the who , when and where to eliminate parasols...

[Maurie, a 19th
century m?tis
woman of the
Potawatomi holds
a parasol and
neckerchief while
dressed in typical
Potawatomi attire
of the day.
Courtesy
Tippecanoe
County Historical
Association,
George Winter
Collection.]

https://scholarworks.wmich.edu/cgi/...ttpsredir=1&article=1031&context=fortstjoseph

I don't golf. But keep a golf umbrella outside the door to smoke outside in the rain. And during most snows.

A lady might appreciate a parasol for the sun of course , but stepping out of the lodge to relieve ones self and being able to stay dry might have value? At least for a guy gifting her a parasol...

Some traders sent delegates to ride along routes. Some might have used a parasol. (?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One looks like a broken rivet and the other 2 look like Indian tinker cones

after seeing the ruler after my post I have to agree with DCMat there to big for tinker cones

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They look very similar to Scabbard Tips, but very ornamental. But does look like it was connected to leather or wood
Thank you for the post and for sharing your thoughts erfranks. :thumbsup:
Dave

Depends on the who, when and where to eliminate parasols...

[Maurie, a 19th century metis woman of the Potawatomi holds a parasol and neckerchief while dressed in typical Potawatomi attire of the day. Courtesy Tippecanoe County Historical Association, George Winter Collection.]

https://scholarworks.wmich.edu/cgi/...ttpsredir=1&article=1031&context=fortstjoseph

I don't golf. But keep a golf umbrella outside the door to smoke outside in the rain. And during most snows.

A lady might appreciate a parasol for the sun of course , but stepping out of the lodge to relieve ones self and being able to stay dry might have value? At least for a guy gifting her a parasol...

Some traders sent delegates to ride along routes. Some might have used a parasol. (?)
Thank you so much for this interesting information RC. :occasion14:
I will email the pdf file you included to my friend.
Dave

One looks like a broken rivet and the other 2 look like Indian tinker cones

I've heard of the term 'tinker cones' before, this makes perfect sense considering where these relics were found.
Thanks for your help Broken Knee,
Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are tussy mussy's. Victorian posy holders.

attachment.php

Attachments

• m_5c72f35512cd4a0016c4f46e.jpg
    m_5c72f35512cd4a0016c4f46e.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 195
Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, not sure what they are but one question and 2 observations:

1. In the first picture I see "London". What else does it say?
2. In the third picture there is (screw/nail?) hole near the bottom of the 2 leftmost artifacts. Probably used to secure the artifacts to ???
3. Also in the third picture the artifact on the left appears more complete. The one just to the right of it looks as if the base has been torn off.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1. In the first picture I see "London". What else does it say?...

I see the Royal Arms, surrounded by the customary garter with 'Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense'. Usually this would indicate the manufacturer had royal patronage and had supplied items to the royal household (although not necessarily the same type of item, since it was the company itself which held the patronage). Nothing especially unusual about that. Lots of companies had this kind of patronage.

Our Royal Arms changed in style from time to time and so can be dated. Here, the emblems in the quarters (England/Scotland/Ireland/England in that order), together with the central 'inescutcheon' for Hanover (crowned rather than with the electoral bonnet) denote this as the arms used between 1816-1837.

Royal Arms.jpg

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red-Coat what an education!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dave, not sure what they are but one question and 2 observations:

1. In the first picture I see "London". What else does it say?
2. In the third picture there is (screw/nail?) hole near the bottom of the 2 leftmost artifacts. Probably used to secure the artifacts to ???
3. Also in the third picture the artifact on the left appears more complete. The one just to the right of it looks as if the base has been torn off.

Thanks for your questions and for your interest buddy. :icon_thumleft:
I'll forward your questions to my friend and let you know what they say.
Dave

I see the Royal Arms, surrounded by the customary garter with 'Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense'. Usually this would indicate the manufacturer had royal patronage and had supplied items to the royal household (although not necessarily the same type of item, since it was the company itself which held the patronage). Nothing especially unusual about that. Lots of companies had this kind of patronage.

Our Royal Arms changed in style from time to time and so can be dated. Here, the emblems in the quarters (England/Scotland/Ireland/England in that order), together with the central 'inescutcheon' for Hanover (crowned rather than with the electoral bonnet) denote this as the arms used between 1816-1837.
Thank you so much for this information RC. :occasion14:
I'll forward this along with invent4hir's question to my friend.
Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used