Broke my copperless streak, Awesome day cellar hunting!!

Ridirtdigger

Greenie
Oct 28, 2014
South County, RI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, yesterday for the very time since the 30th of June I did NOT come home copper less. I guess I'll tell the story first. Normally on Mondays during the Summertime I work with my dad (he's a land surveyor) but yesterday he had a doctors appointment so I called up my buddy Sam and asked if he wanted to meet up with me in Rhode Island and hit a few cellar holes. So we met up yesterday afternoon and headed into the woods. These sites were quite remote and had little to no stone walls at all. They were without a doubt early settler sites that were out of this area prior to 1800. First site was right by a path and had a fresh dig hole, nothing left there so off we went to the 2nd site. This one was off of the path and was very secluded. It was a very small site but had a decent amount of iron so I knew they probably weren't extremely poor. First target I pull out is a very crudely cut spoon bowl, which turns out to be part of a late 17th/early 18th century "Trefid" Spoon. My second target is a very strange rolled up piece of brass with a nail right in the middle. Not sure what the purpose of this thing was. :dontknow: Sam digs a modern pin that says "USA" and has the Olympic rings, :laughing7: Kinda funny considering the Olympics are occurring right now. However, right next to it he digs the handle of another "Trefid" Spoon. Without a doubt a very early site, but we decided to move on, really not much there. The third site was on a trail and totally hammered so we moved on to the next site which was well off the trails. No stone walls at all around this site, just a couple of rock piles on each side of the cellar hole. Very old cellar hole. Right away we start getting targets. I dig a knee buckle frame and dandy button right on the lip and Sam scores a few buttons and relics as well. But just as quickly as the targets appeared they disappear and we are just about to leave when Sam swings over the cellar hole lip and gets a solid 78 signal on his machine. Out pops a gourgeous complete shoe buckle :icon_thumleft: Even though I wasn't the one to dig it, I was still very happy for him. But that wasn't the only thing in the hole. He rechecks it and out pops a complete knee buckle (iron tongue and chape). We recheck the hole again and we pull out a ramrod guide. Another rechecking of the hole yields an iron colonial table knife. What a crazy turn of events! Sam decided to start pulling out the rocks around this area and now he's pulling out button after button. Probably close to 10 buttons all different materials. I start helping him remove rocks and using my pinpointer to scan the area. I recover a nice tongue and chape of a shoe buckle and a few buttons of my own. We then get a nice copper tone in the side wall (we never would have gotten this signal without removing these rocks) he pulls out a nice CT copper and after rechecking the hole I pull out my copper, a slicky but I'm not complaining :) We had to get going soon after that but we are gonna go back there with a sifter and remove some more of the rocks cause I think there is some kind of trash pit there. Weird how everything that's usually spread out at a colonial site was all found within that area. But hey every site is different. Happy hunting everyone! IMG_7405.JPG IMG_7410.JPG IMG_7415.JPG IMG_7417.JPG IMG_7420.JPG IMG_7421.JPG IMG_7438.JPG IMG_7439.JPG

Upvote 22

doc brown

Oct 30, 2010
central NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Max, delta 4000, Makro racer 2, Simplex +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet digs - congrats on the coppers

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! I would love to find a whole buckle like that beauty! I've never recovered one intact. Thanks for sharing!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great day with great finds

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wow! that is a big bunch of things ..good hunting :icon_thumleft:

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a great day of digging! Congrats on the old copper. The intact shoe buckle is a beauty too!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great hunt! Nice coppers and fantastic buckles!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buckle is awesome :icon_thumleft:

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a Heavenly day in the woods to me. I am still chasing my first shoe buckle. I am starting to think I might never find one LOL. I would say you definitely need to make a return trip. If you have a small coil that is a good spot to use it in between the rocks. Good luck on the return trip

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread