Broken dart point?

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this broken point this evening. Disregard the second set of duplicate photos..

Far Northern California.

935EC6DC-4ADD-430A-BFEC-FCBF48A5EF5C.jpeg 8A1BAA7E-CE42-4E52-A03A-F5920DE4EEC6.jpeg

935EC6DC-4ADD-430A-BFEC-FCBF48A5EF5C.jpeg 8A1BAA7E-CE42-4E52-A03A-F5920DE4EEC6.jpeg

Kind of a grey obsidian.

I’m a real greenhorn when it comes to typing an artifact.

My guess was a Elko Split Stem type?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good guess, Elko Split Stem. Get back out there and find some more! What county are you in?

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T.C. I'd be out looking if I could get the planets aligned properly so as to have a little sunlight to myself.

I'm actually wanting to do a bit of looking in your direction.
Not quite all the way to K.F.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find I keep going back for a look and now I can see a reworked Elko split stem . I hunted a little around Surprise valley and Goose Lake and Always wanted to walk Eagle Lake .

Last edited:
OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find I keep going back for a look and now I can see a reworked Elko split stem . I hunted a little around Surprise valley and Goose Lake and Always wanted to walk Eagle Lake .

Help me out SouthFork...what were you seeing at first?
What gives the appearance of being reworked?

I did notice the stem was thinner than the rest of the point and didn't share the elliptical cross section. This is mainly evident on the second picture.
Are you thinking this was a point where perhaps the base broke off and they reworked a new base onto the damaged point?

Just trying to learn.
------
I think I need to travel a little bit to get into some areas that were occupied for longer periods of time. The paleo lakes seem like a good place to look. Especially considering the historical shorelines have been studied and described in many instances.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first I thinking Northern Side Notched Cluster but with some barbs on the shoulders in my minds eye I see a Elko Split Stem . Just a guess on my part nothing jumped out as far as type but your in the right area for either type . Help my cloudy memory what county are you in ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first I thinking Northern Side Notched Cluster but with some barbs on the shoulders in my minds eye I see a Elko Split Stem . Just a guess on my part nothing jumped out as far as type but your in the right area for either type . Help my cloudy memory what county are you in ?

I guess what I'm seeing (or feeling) is "basal thinning" in the second photo?
I'm all the way to the top of Ca.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I can't help you because all the way to the top covers a large area .

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I can't help you because all the way to the top covers a large area .

Indeed it does. Takes me 4 hours to drive across just my county.
I typically limit my travels to the Shasta, Trinity, Siskiyou, Modoc, Klamath, Jackson, and Josephine areas. 28,000 square miles?!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread