Last edited:
Upvote 3

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not seeing clovis either but it is nice piece of worked quartz.

OP
OP
Barefeets

Barefeets

Jun 21, 2022
Meadowview
Not seeing Clovis although that looks like a good quality quartz artifact. What does the other side look like?
Thanks for the info. I added pics of the other side and tried to get a clear shot of the pressure flakes I've found out that's very difficult with quartz

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I added pics of the other side and tried to get a clear shot of the pressure flakes I've found out that's very difficult with quartz.
You are absolutely correct with that statement. If it were thinner and intact, someone may be able to make a positive ID but it is pretty thick and the tip appears to be obliterated--likely from an impact. I've been trying to see a resemblance to Guilford since they are fairly thick, are lanceolate shaped, commonly found and are in the distribution range of your find but to no avail. Neither can I see any defining features for any known types that I'm familiar with. Your piece may have been salvaged from it's original form (because of damage it sustained during usage) such as a hafted scraper or some other tool like maybe a chisel. Like you, I'd love to know what it is/was. I've found thousands of quartz and quartzite artifacts in my tri-county area since I was around 10 years old and being reasonably successful in the hobby for that long, I've learned that not all "arrowheads" are typeable. I'd save it and use it as a study piece (or lab specimen ;)).JMO

OP
OP
Barefeets

Barefeets

Jun 21, 2022
Meadowview
You are absolutely correct with that statement. If it were thinner and intact, someone may be able to make a positive ID but it is pretty thick and the tip appears to be obliterated--likely from an impact. I've been trying to see a resemblance to Guilford since they are fairly thick, are lanceolate shaped, commonly found and are in the distribution range of your find but to no avail. Neither can I see any defining features for any known types that I'm familiar with. Your piece may have been salvaged from it's original form (because of damage it sustained during usage) such as a hafted scraper or some other tool like maybe a chisel. Like you, I'd love to know what it is/was. I've found thousands of quartz and quartzite artifacts in my tri-county area since I was around 10 years old and being reasonably successful in the hobby for that long, I've learned that not all "arrowheads" are typeable. I'd save it and use it as a study piece (or lab specimen ;)).JMO
Thanks a bunch for the info and for taking your time to study on it! I'm fixing to go scratch the surface and see what else I find there due to the fact it's the most perfect camp or hunting site especially with primitive tackle that I have ran across. Hopefully it will turn up another piece or two. Thanks again for the response!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread