Bronze cannon site

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
It does not happen often to find a wreck site with bronze cannon.
Imagine, you are on the way to a new location. You know that you will pass near several very interesting regions that you know are full of shipwrecks.
Why not stop and make a few look see dives.
And then you see these 2 bronze cannons just lying there. Some ballast. Some cannon balls between the rocks and ballast. A few iron cannons.
Would you want to go back to this place?
Bronze_cannon_wreck.jpg

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
Would I go back to this place, you ask. Personally, I wouldn't leave the site.
What's the rest of the story?
Don.......
We were on a different project and had no response yet on our permit application from the government of the bronze cannon country. So we moved on to our project in a different country.
We never got an answer to the permit application. Time flies, but always in the back of my mind was the hope of one day getting back there.

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
Where abouts in the World is this located?

Curious the cannon are not encrusted with any coral or anything

Bronze cannons usually do not get much encrusted. Not like iron cannon.
General Caribbean region.
On a rocky promontory, on the slope, about 20 to 60 ft deep. The visibility was bad and it was windy, winter time.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
So, go get them. Why are you wasting your time talking about them?

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What should I do with it? My wife says it is much too big for our bedroom.

Honestly, do you want to help me get it?

If I were in the area I would be there in a heart beat. Not only have I always wanted a cannon but I also love rigging and a good challenge.

My wife is used to me dragging home old machines, I wonder what she would think if I drug a bronze cannon home. Hahaha

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does not happen often to find a wreck site with bronze cannon.
Imagine, you are on the way to a new location. You know that you will pass near several very interesting regions that you know are full of shipwrecks.
Why not stop and make a few look see dives.
And then you see these 2 bronze cannons just lying there. Some ballast. Some cannon balls between the rocks and ballast. A few iron cannons.
Would you want to go back to this place?
View attachment 1984508
Without a doubt!!!!

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
A bronze cannon shipwreck.
What is it worth?
Let's look at that a bit closer:
Is it worth trying to get a permit to salvage this shipwreck?
What might it be worth to an archaeologist? Could he get a grant for it?
A grant for what? To make a non intrusive survey?
Or a grant to make an excavation?
Could he work out a phd out of it?
Could he write a book about this shipwreck and enter the hall of fame?

A treasure hunter would have to make a return on the investment. Hopefully a profit.
So, what would it cost?
What would it cost just to go there and have a look? What is there besides the Bronze cannons?
Are the bronze cannons still there? Or has another passerby with a bigger boat found them and carried them away?
Or has a lobster fisherman found the bronze cannon and removed them with the help of a big fishing boat?

This reminds me of the fisherman who told me about a shipwreck with a lot of bronze cannon. (same country, a few hundred miles away) He showed me his fishing nets that he traded for the 2 smallest bronze cannon from that shipwreck site.
He also told me that these bronze cannon only appear after a hurricane passes through and removes the sand. Then it covers up again within a few days and nothing can be seen.

So what could we do about that?
What should we do about that?

Please don't tell me "go get them". I can not do it on my own. I can only help who ever wants to give it a try.
I would love to help.

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The problem is resources and a good team with out both your stuffed, you’ve mentioned two wrecks, both are the stuff of dreams.

Who is out there that can partner you, that is what you need some on with the finance equipment and team, wrecks like these need to be excavated in an archaeological manner the treasure hunter is dead, those who sell the image of the treasure to investors are living in the past, there needs to benefit for the region the wrecks lay in, cultural and heritage tourism and education can flourish of such wrecks while investor can turn a profit?

Rex Cowan got it right, even though the Dutch got the knives out he engaged with them, and their museums are full of artefacts from his wrecks, there archaeologist got something to study, and their exchequer got a return from the wrecks directly and indirectly. Rex’s model can work for any region, but you need the right team.

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Id also like to know what your going to pull out of those boxes in the basement next, that is were i would want to go to, plenty more cannon sites, in thise boxes, old photos are good but postions are better, how much is it worth?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post deleted. (my post)
Reason = Political.

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
Give me the location the cannons they will be removed in 24 hours....If you move forward on these I am in the market for one. ..... If I found I would take pictures as you did and removed one cannon for identification. 40 million dollars for the taking. Walk away ....

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Agree ARC, It is not UNESCO or the archaeologists that are stopping us it is our selves, what I’m say is that there is still a way to salvage shipwreck, just don’t call yourself a treasure Hunter, use UNESCO, it is full of loopholes,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions