WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
Good question.
It is very unlikely to be a treasure galleon.
Probably it is a merchant, possibly a pirate or privateer. I am talking about the bronze cannon picture wreck.

The other wreck, that I have not seen, supposedly has many bronze cannon. First, one needs to realize that most people do not know what a bronze cannon looks like under water. More often than not, what people report to be a bronze cannon, is only an iron cannon.
In this specific case, I tend to believe the fisherman, because where we were talking, there was an abundance of iron cannons lying around. Not considered of any value.
Then, he told me his sales price (sorry I forgot the value), and showed me the fishing nets that he got in trade for his 2 small bronze cannon. He was hoping to make a similar deal with me.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does not happen often to find a wreck site with bronze cannon.
Imagine, you are on the way to a new location. You know that you will pass near several very interesting regions that you know are full of shipwrecks.
Why not stop and make a few look see dives.
And then you see these 2 bronze cannons just lying there. Some ballast. Some cannon balls between the rocks and ballast. A few iron cannons.
Would you want to go back to this place?
View attachment 1984508

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
In the country where the guns are located, does that country currently issue salvage permits?
Don...........
I need to learn how to use this new interface. It seems to work now with the quote.
Anyway, the answer is I don't know. I applied for a salvage permit many years ago and never got an answer.

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
What about 500 million, $ just sitting on the sea bed,
I wish.
But no, just thinking of how to break even. Make a small profit to keep motivated.
It would maybe make a good story for a documentary movie, but how to cover the cost?

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you any other images of this wreck site
Visibility was low. What we call pea sup. Deeper down it got dark. I had photos of both bronze cannons, because I knew that without photos nobody would believe me.
One gets so many false reports about bronze cannon wrecks.
We never verified the extent of the wreck site. It is on the slope, don't know how deep down nor how much scattered. My guess would be a site of about 2000 square meters maximum.

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Visibility was low. What we call pea sup. Deeper down it got dark. I had photos of both bronze cannons, because I knew that without photos nobody would believe me.
One gets so many false reports about bronze cannon wrecks.
We never verified the extent of the wreck site. It is on the slope, don't know how deep down nor how much scattered. My guess would be a site of about 2000 square meters maximum.
What are the Iron guns like, any Idea of the date?

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
In the intervening years since discovery, have you done any research to determine the possible name of the wreck--assuming the guns are there as a result of a wreck?
Don.......
Definitely a complete wreck site. Rocky slope. Big, like several feet and smaller like 1ft rock with sharp edges that make them easy to differentiate from the ballast that is smaller and has rounded shapes. Fused cannonballs between the rocks. Can't remember any coral.
Date? I estimated 17th century.
The ship could have been on route west to east or east to west.

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
You said Iron and Bronze guns, could the ship be 16th century.
Maybe, probably not. I would guess, more like second half of 17th century.
You ask a lot of questions. Are you an armchair treasure hunter or are you a diver who has enough guts to go on a real adventure?

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hunter 1805 said he be there in 24 hours that is the type of guy you need obviously has the resources to back that up.
There are a number of ships upgraded with longer range guns during their service, there are two bronze guns in an English Museum same featureless guns the first reinforcement ring is about the same distance from the crucible end they are 1549. If Smith Brown has seen the cannons id be interested in his expert opinion.

Not unlike these ones?

Attachments

• _87056086_87056085.jpg
    _87056086_87056085.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 45

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
Hunter 1805 said he be there in 24 hours that is the type of guy you need obviously has the resources to back that up.
There are a number of ships upgraded with longer range guns during their service, there are two bronze guns in an English Museum same featureless guns the first reinforcement ring is about the same distance from the crucible end they are 1549. If Smith Brown has seen the cannons id be interested in his expert opinion.

Not unlike these ones?
If it was 16th century, I would have expected some of the iron cannons to be Versos, that is swivel guns like the Piet Heyn wreck from 1628 had a few.
But on a 1700 wreck, the Santa Escolastica, there were iron swivel guns as well as lombards that were really not expected. But then there were also a high percentage of fake silver coins between the real cobs. The Mexican cobs were real. Some of the Lima cobs were falsified.
And then, on the "Sacramento" (Portuguese) that sank 1669, there was an English bronze cannon of 1585 and Dutch bronze cannon of 1624? "KOSTER FECIT"

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
If it was 16th century, I would have expected some of the iron cannons to be Versos, that is swivel guns like the Piet Heyn wreck from 1628 had a few.
But on a 1700 wreck, the Santa Escolastica, there were iron swivel guns as well as lombards that were really not expected. But then there were also a high percentage of fake silver coins between the real cobs. The Mexican cobs were real. Some of the Lima cobs were falsified.
And then, on the "Sacramento" (Portuguese) that sank 1669, there was an English bronze cannon of 1585 and Dutch bronze cannon of 1624? "KOSTER FECIT"

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canon were repurposed... so to find iron cannon on a ship EVEN today is common... people look to cannon to "date" a ship when in fact this is ONLY a starting point to unraveling a shipwrecks age.

Only all items taken as a whole can determine this... UNLESS there are multiple items dated within same periods etc etc.

Canon that are one hundred years older than the ship would be commonplace... and vise versa.

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
Canon were repurposed... so to find iron cannon on a ship EVEN today is common... people look to cannon to "date" a ship when in fact this is ONLY a starting point to unraveling a shipwrecks age.

Only all items taken as a whole can determine this... UNLESS there are multiple items dated within same periods etc etc.

Canon that are one hundred years older than the ship would be commonplace... and vise versa.
Totally agree

Reactions: ARC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread