ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bronze guns are much older than iron guns. If there were both iron and bronze guns in the same location there could be two different wrecks in that area. For example, here on the Treasure Coast we have an older wreck named the San Martin that sank in 1618 right among the 1715 wrecks of almost a hundred years later. For a time they mistakenly thought it was one of the 1715 ships, but it had bronze guns and the 1715 fleet carried iron guns.

Another possibility is that the guns were used as ballast for a later ship. There is an area off the east side of Bonaire (Dutch Antilles) where Bob Marx found dozens of cannons of all different types and ages. Turned out they were used as ballast for Dutch ships and jettisoned once they took on a full cargo load of salt from the island.
Actually the very first cannon were iron.

Smithbrown

May 22, 2006
French merchant ships would have Swedish cast- iron guns with wrought-iron swivels until the first couple of decades of the 18th century, when they begin their own iron industry in earnest.
Oldest identified cannon are bronze, like the Loshult piece. First technology comes from bell and bronze potfounders.

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks Smith Brown, cannons are interesting, Wrecking was on the site, he identifies it as 17th century merchant vessel, so I guess unless we go there then it remains a 17th century merchant vessel sunk of the coast of ??

Why would he put this out there, you find wrecks when your young you research the wrecks you left behind when your older and you release you’ve left, something worthwhile behind you?

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Irelands Oldest Cannon, 1497
Old-Cannon-Ireland-2.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Cannon have been known in Japan around 1270 as proto-cannon invented in China, which the Japanese called teppō (鉄砲 lit. "iron cannon")."

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
I was referring to European cannon only- Asian is quite a different kettle of fish.
All this talk about cannons reminds me of the badly worn cannons from the Atocha. Whatever happened to these cannons?

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
Fisher museum cannon, not unlike yours.

View attachment 1986229
This one is really nice. I believe there also was one of the Atocha cannons in Seville, at the archives.
What I would like to know what happened the the Atocha bronze cannons that were "left in situ" for too long and worn down by the shifting sands.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one is really nice. I believe there also was one of the Atocha cannons in Seville, at the archives.
What I would like to know what happened the the Atocha bronze cannons that were "left in situ" for too long and worn down by the shifting sands.
Atocha was outfitted with 20 3.4 meter 1,633 kg cannon.... they were all recovered as far as i knew.
Gun #2499 was given to Queen Sofia by Mel.

AKA gun listed on manifest as 24q99L

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
Atocha was outfitted with 20 3.4 meter 1,633 kg cannon.... they were all recovered as far as i knew.

Gun #2499 was given to Queen Sofia by Mel.

AKA gun listed on manifest as 24q99L
Were all 20 cannons recovered and are there pictures of each one?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is much debate on this... i bel;ieve only 4 cannon were recovered by TSI... back when i knew Mel...
the rest may have been recovered later... OR during the initial salvages in the year 1622.. and subsequent years.

I did a little poking and from what i found the only listing for the salvers back then was for the Margarita; guns..
where 4 were recovered inbetween hurricanes ...sometime between sept and oct of 1622...then amother 6 were recovered... big ones....

Then 2 years later in 1624 another salvage recovered some... have to look at old data... but IMO those cannon were sorta "bad luck" for the fleet.... some of them had been redistributed after an accident.

20 were listed.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It does not happen often to find a wreck site with bronze cannon.
Imagine, you are on the way to a new location. You know that you will pass near several very interesting regions that you know are full of shipwrecks.
Why not stop and make a few look see dives.
And then you see these 2 bronze cannons just lying there. Some ballast. Some cannon balls between the rocks and ballast. A few iron cannons.
Would you want to go back to this place?
View attachment 1984508
A very special shipwreck - French? Spanish?$$

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
A very special shipwreck - French? Spanish?$$
I think just the fact that there were at least 2 bronze cannons makes it special.
It is one of these regrets. We should have spent a few hours more. We should have covered a bit more area to check the whole extent of the wreck site. We should have made an effort to get at least a better date on the wreck.
If only we had.
But we said: Let's not call attention. We stop over again on our way back... It never happened.
Somebody said: lets bring one of the cannon up and take it with us.
As the captain and owner of the boat I did not want a "loose cannon" on board.
So we left it "in situ".
We need a few adventurous people to go and check it out.
Anybody interested?

Reactions: TRG
OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
All this talk about cannons reminds me of the badly worn cannons from the Atocha. Whatever happened to these cannons?
One of them is in the Sebastian museum too.

bronze-cannon.jpg

Mel_Fisher%27s_Treasure_Museum_Front.jpg

Keg1717

Oct 25, 2021
What should I do with it? My wife says it is much too big for our bedroom.

Honestly, do you want to help me get it?
I have the same problem. 20feet of water but what do I do with it then someone will notice a canon hanging out the suv

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread