Brothel Tokens

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
i was once told years ago they were all fake. or modern issues. i believe this.
but since then i may have seen a real one for sale but can't remember anything about it.
never owned one. if you were to find one post it for our perusal.
good luck, it would be a neat find.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I have heard the same thing as intimer says. If there really were a brothel that honored tokens, they certainly wouldn't say things like the modern gimmicky ones "good for nookie" or "good for all night" etc... They would've just said "Joes Saloon" or whatever, with no mention made of what value or goods (or maybe just say "$1.00" etc..., but NOT explicit wording on them)

OP
OP
rjw4law

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your web post was very good indeed. The story on the history channel showed a few from Denver, San Antonio and San Francisco. At one point the competition was very high, I believe one of the places in SanFrancisco started it by giving out Tokens to a few regular customers....but they are rare and prized. I alway thought it was just a modern joke, until I watched the show.

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
there are some authentic brothel tokens from the USA...and a whole bunch of them from France and other countries like Cuba and Argentina.
I am new at trying to post pix here...let me try...
11.jpg

12.jpg

there are copies of the above token, modern copies, of not too good quality and can be easily seen. the above token sold on ebay recently for $25, a real bargain for the buyer.

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texasvarmit said:
there are some authentic brothel tokens from the USA...and a whole bunch of them from France and other countries like Cuba and Argentina.
I am new at trying to post pix here...let me try...
11.jpg

12.jpg

there are copies of the above token, modern copies, of not too good quality and can be easily seen. the above token sold on ebay recently for $25, a real bargain for the buyer.
Nice token!!! But there are many many fakes/fantasies,etc.out there !(a little list of some FAKES,Very partial list!) :read2:, :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Picture 2311.jpg
    Picture 2311.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,563
  • Picture 2312.jpg
    Picture 2312.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,427
  • Picture 2314.jpg
    Picture 2314.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,443
  • Picture 2315.jpg
    Picture 2315.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,455
  • Picture 2316.jpg
    Picture 2316.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,350
  • Picture 2317.jpg
    Picture 2317.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,362

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I have that book, and a bunch of fake/modern brothel tokens. A lot of experience is the best way to determine authentic ones from the fakes. Fake ones outnumber the real ones by about 5000 to one I suspect.
the real deal, an authentic brothel (brass shellcard) token:
http://tokencatalog.com/token_recor...ion_id=14483&td_create_uid=2&record_offset=32

an a fake of the above token...which was a real brothel, but this token is modern and the brothel existed 100 yrs ago:
http://tokencatalog.com/token_recor..._id=213591&td_create_uid=411&record_offset=33

so know your stuff....
another authentic brothel token:
http://tokencatalog.com/token_recor...n_id=213599&td_create_uid=14&record_offset=14

and another authentic brothel token:
http://tokencatalog.com/token_recor...n_id=214310&td_create_uid=14&record_offset=17

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread