Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Y'all,
We all encounter some 'critters' while MD-ing. Do you think it is a Brown Recluse or one of the 'look-a-likes?' The Pine tree thingie measures 1 1/2 inches, so that will give you a general idea of the size. It has 3 eyes on each side.
Thanks in advance for checking out my creepy crawly.
:) Breezie

SpiderUnknown.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a plain old MONSTER to me. I can't tell the difference, but it looks like the brown recluse pics I have seen.

Upvote 0

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no clue!! But I would step o that thing a few times and make a grease spot out of it.....Just in case! :laughing7:

I hate spiders if you can't tell! I've never seen so many spiders until I moved to the south.......Black widows, the wolf spiders that run around here at night. hit them with a light and their eyes glow! Go to step on them and they just jump out of the way and run off with your shoe!!!! Ok...ok....I made up the part about them running off with the shoe!

Upvote 0

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BR's have a fiddle pattern on their backs, I cant tell from your pic but I don't see it. I got bit by one way back when, they said the bite could essentially rot and fall out leaving a permanent pit in my forearm that didn't happen but ive had a faded purple spot ever since

Upvote 0

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
come to think of it I ran into a black widow near my new favorite site now I'm def checking before I grab a handful of dirt and leaves to wave in front of my detector

Upvote 0

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
come to think of it I ran into a black widow near my new favorite site now I'm def checking before I grab a handful of dirt and leaves to wave in front of my detector

We kill those on our front porch here. had a few in the garage too. I'd much rather run into those over a recluse. The widows are slow for the most part. They just hang out around the doorway on the stone face in their webs. Still don't want to get nailed by either.

Upvote 0

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
ive known 1 person bit by recluse,young healthy, still a nasty
wound that took almost a yr to heal, its like the venom eats
the flesh, wound was 4in sorta round and 1 in deep, nasty nasty
the widow bite young healthy, saw doc all was good with in 2-3 wk

Upvote 0

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Brown recluses are pretty nasty. When I was in boot camp, a guy who bunked next to me got bit on his outer thigh. Had a big red bullseye around it and the docs had to cut out an area the size of a teaspoon a quarter inch deep.
I was hunting for driftwood today and the area I hunt looked like the ground was moving with gazillions of hobo spiders running around everywhere. Typical for spring. Don't usually see them in a scurry in summer or fall, because they seem to have made their way safely to the inside of my house by then.

Upvote 0

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aside from all of the 'stories' the simple facts are..
220px-Brown-recluse-coin-edit.jpg

Brown recluse spiders are usually between 6 and 20 millimetres (0.24 and 0.79 in), but may grow larger. While typically light to medium brown, they range in color from whitish to dark brown or blackish gray. The cephalothorax and abdomen are not necessarily the same color. These spiders usually have markings on the dorsal side of their cephalothorax, with a black line coming from it that looks like a violin with the neck of the violin pointing to the rear of the spider, resulting in the nicknames fiddleback spider, brown fiddler, or violin spider.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_recluse_spider

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beings I hate spiders... and have run into many venomous spiders and am always on the lookout for em...
Here are the real FACTS / I.D.'s for BR's...

Recluse have 6 eyes... not 8.
Many spiders have "violin" designs just like the recluse... so this is not a positive I.D... must have this and only 6 eyes.

Also...If there is more than one color on the legs, or if the legs are brown or darker, it is NOT a recluse.
If it has more than one pigment on the abdomen, it is NOT a recluse.

IF its "body" is bigger than half an inch... NOT recluse.

Here is the link that taught me the real deal on these.

UCR Spiders Site: Brown Recluse ID

Upvote 0

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I believe that is a type of " Camel Cricket ." In the South, they are often just a beige/tan color. Usually found in dark , damp areas, like caves & basements. They will jump just like a cricket, but look a lot like a big spider, & some people call them spiders, spider crickets, cave crickets, etc .

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm allergic to most bug bites, so it would get attention if that ever happened. I always wear gloves doing outside stuff now. Found a black widow under my deck. Now I have a pest control company come on a regular basis. Death to the black widows! Haven't seen one since.

Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Breezie,

I noticed you posted this at 11 PM last night.
Did you get any sleep afterwards?

Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks a lot like a dead and dried up Wolf Spider which looks like a big Brown recluse.
Fwi: never smash a live wolf spider, I found out the hard way, twice.

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many, Many years ago, I was catching Black Widows to sell to a college for research. I did some reading on the cute little critters. The most interesting facts was that 90% of Black Widow bites was on the tender flesh that is exposed while sitting in the outhouse. They recommended taking a torch of newspaper and flaming under the seat every few days.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think - based on the partial remains - that your spider was a recluse spider. Too large, no "fiddle" marking.

I'm with Icewing. Some type of wolf or grass spider.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread