BUCKET LISTER NOVA CONSTELLATIO FOUND ON CHRISTMAS DAY METAL DETECTING!

1LWiL15

Nov 15, 2021
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Barska Winbest Elite Edition, Bounty Hunter TK-IV, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Ace Apex, XP ORX, XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this amazing coin on Christmas at a hunted out site. At first I thought it was a relic because of the shape, but as I brushed the dirt away I saw details. I flipped it over, and immediately saw the rays around the all-seeing eye! CHA-POW! NOVA baby! This variety is from 1785 w/ blunt rays. I still can’t believe it!!:headbang:
Happy New Year everyone!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 28

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this amazing coin on Christmas at a hunted out site. At first I thought it was a relic because of the shape, but as I brushed the dirt away I saw details. I flipped it over, and immediately saw the rays around the all-seeing eye! CHA-POW! NOVA baby! This variety is from 1785 w/ blunt rays. I still can’t believe it!!:headbang:
Happy New Year everyone!
View attachment 1999999 View attachment 2000000
Really Cool!!! Congrats!!! HNY🎉

OP
OP
1LWiL15

1LWiL15

Nov 15, 2021
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Barska Winbest Elite Edition, Bounty Hunter TK-IV, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Ace Apex, XP ORX, XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! I had never heard of that coin. Happy New Year!
Thanks! Yes, these were actually the first coins minted under the authority of the United States government.

OP
OP
1LWiL15

1LWiL15

Nov 15, 2021
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
1LWiL15

1LWiL15

Nov 15, 2021
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool recovery, repurposed into a possible 2 puece buckle center?
Honestly, I never thought of that as a possibility to why it was cut so weird. I know it wasn’t for money, it could maybe be also like a love token, they cut it into two halves like a puzzle piece and each take a half. Happy New Year!

OP
OP
1LWiL15

1LWiL15

Nov 15, 2021
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome! Congrats. I also just dug one about 2 weeks ago. Pretty toasty but I'll take it!
Hey man, that’s still a rare find and in Pennsylvania too! Happy New Year and good luck!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Honestly, I never thought of that as a possibility to why it was cut so weird. I know it wasn’t for money, it could maybe be also like a love token, they cut it into two halves like a puzzle piece and each take a half. Happy New Year!
Here is the 1832 Halfpenny repurposed, that I was referring to.
Has that squared center.
20220101_083309.jpg
20220101_083628.jpg

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn,t know that!! Thanks for that tidbit of info!!
Actually, they were not minted under the authority of the US. They were a private commercial venture, most likely minted in England, and shipped to the US. There were some pattern Nova Constellatio coins made in the US though and these circulating ones were copied from them.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread