Buckeye Iron & Brass Works Steam whistle

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was curious if anybody could chime in on this old whistle?
Dimensions are 14" tall overall
3" diameter x 7" long chime
The whistle is marked BUCKEYE IRON & BRASS WORKS DAYTON OHIO
It's got PM3 & 65 on actuator arm
Also its marked 65 & 44-1/4M on whistle body. Could someone give me some insight to age & value. I hooked shop air to whistle & it's still functional!!! Thanks for looking!
20220917_095416.jpg

Red-Coat

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. This one, with the same manufacturer details (and the same size), was sold by Kraft Auction Service in Valparaiso, IN for $200 (plus buyer premium of 20%) in January 2019:

Buckeye.jpg

No date for the whistle was given in the listing but, as you probably know, the company (under that name) dates between 1876-1965.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are collected by steam tech buffs. The mine I worked at in the 70s and 80s had those whistles on a machine called a drill jumbo which operated on compressed air. The bigger these whistles are, the more valuable they can be I believe.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus's have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was curious if anybody could chime in on this old whistle?
Dimensions are 14" tall overall
3" diameter x 7" long chime
The whistle is marked BUCKEYE IRON & BRASS WORKS DAYTON OHIO
It's got PM3 & 65 on actuator arm
Also its marked 65 & 44-1/4M on whistle body. Could someone give me some insight to age & value. I hooked shop air to whistle & it's still functional!!! Thanks for looking! View attachment 2046869
Some times on Ebay you can look on the left side for completed listings . If it is green i think that is what it sold for

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Simplex Metal Detector

Latest Discussions