Buckeye Iron & Brass Works Steam whistle

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was curious if anybody could chime in on this old whistle?
Dimensions are 14" tall overall
3" diameter x 7" long chime
The whistle is marked BUCKEYE IRON & BRASS WORKS DAYTON OHIO
It's got PM3 & 65 on actuator arm
Also its marked 65 & 44-1/4M on whistle body. Could someone give me some insight to age & value. I hooked shop air to whistle & it's still functional!!! Thanks for looking!
20220917_095416.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. This one, with the same manufacturer details (and the same size), was sold by Kraft Auction Service in Valparaiso, IN for $200 (plus buyer premium of 20%) in January 2019:

Buckeye.jpg

No date for the whistle was given in the listing but, as you probably know, the company (under that name) dates between 1876-1965.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are collected by steam tech buffs. The mine I worked at in the 70s and 80s had those whistles on a machine called a drill jumbo which operated on compressed air. The bigger these whistles are, the more valuable they can be I believe.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was curious if anybody could chime in on this old whistle?
Dimensions are 14" tall overall
3" diameter x 7" long chime
The whistle is marked BUCKEYE IRON & BRASS WORKS DAYTON OHIO
It's got PM3 & 65 on actuator arm
Also its marked 65 & 44-1/4M on whistle body. Could someone give me some insight to age & value. I hooked shop air to whistle & it's still functional!!! Thanks for looking! View attachment 2046869
Some times on Ebay you can look on the left side for completed listings . If it is green i think that is what it sold for

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was curious where would be the best place to list this steam whistle for sale. Any insights to a real world price on it, not looking to get top dollar. Just would like it to go to someone who collects them & maybe has a showcase. Thanks for any & all help is appreciated.

Bioheat1969

Jan 1, 2021
Dudley, MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was curious where would be the best place to list this steam whistle for sale. Any insights to a real world price on it, not looking to get top dollar. Just would like it to go to someone who collects them & maybe has a showcase. Thanks for any & all help is appreciated.
If it was me selling it, I'd look to sell it on a steam engine enthusiast forum, looking this whistle up online, they average around $500.
These are places I would consider:
The Steamboating Forum
https://thesteamboatingforum.net › ...
The Steamboating Forum

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it was me selling it, I'd look to sell it on a steam engine enthusiast forum, looking this whistle up online, they average around $500.
These are places I would consider:
The Steamboating Forum
https://thesteamboatingforum.net › ...
The Steamboating Forum

Thank you, I wasnt aware or sure where to look. Thanks again.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I’ve attached contact info for Midwest Old Threshers. They deal with steam power every day. They may have members interested in your whistle. A great place to ask.

Attachments

• B08CCDDC-4AC7-4ED4-AA88-F0D61257DBA4.png
    B08CCDDC-4AC7-4ED4-AA88-F0D61257DBA4.png
    158.9 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve attached contact info for Midwest Old Threshers. They deal with steam power every day. They may have members interested in your whistle. A great place to ask.
Thanks I'll check them out as well. Appreciate your help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread