✅ SOLVED BUCKLE Help!!!

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was wondering if any of you buckle guys or relic guys could help me out.
Would this little buckle be considered a colonial shoe buckle?
If not, what type of buckle would this be?
What age does this style of buckle have?
Thanks for looking & I appreciate any & all help.
20221001_152444.jpg
20221001_152506.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
That type of brass buckle, being made of stamped-brass (not cast), with a "floating" two-toothed bar at its center, is an 1850s-&-later men's pantswaist tightener buckle. It is also used on the tightener-strap on the back of a man's vest. See the photos below.

In the mid-1800s these buckles were mostly made in France and Britain. Many have been dug which have a raised marking saying "Paris" or "Solide" or a mid-1800s date, such as 1859. I should mention, they are still being made and used on men's pants and vests today.
I'm going to slightly disagree, as it doesn't look stamped to me, I'm going older - late 18th C.
OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Likely a stock or knee buckle. Shoe buckles usually are curved and bigger.
Ok thank you, when you say stock buckle, are you meaning stocking buckle? What kinda time period you think this little buckle was used? Thanks.

Upvote 1

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That type of brass buckle, being made of stamped-brass (not cast), with a "floating" two-toothed bar at its center, is an 1850s-&-later men's pantswaist tightener buckle. It is also used on the tightener-strap on the back of a man's vest. See the photos below.

In the mid-1800s these buckles were mostly made in France and Britain. Many have been dug which have a raised marking saying "Paris" or "Solide" or a mid-1800s date, such as 1859. I should mention, they are still being made and used on men's pants and vests today.

Attachments

• buckle_pantswaist-adjuster_BRITISH-MAKE-marked_TN_postedbyTaz42o.jpg
    buckle_pantswaist-adjuster_BRITISH-MAKE-marked_TN_postedbyTaz42o.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 22
  • buckle_pants-waist-strap-adjustor_Paris-marked_TN_photobyKuger_pants2.jpg
    buckle_pants-waist-strap-adjustor_Paris-marked_TN_photobyKuger_pants2.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 21
  • buckle_pants-wait-adjuster_on-pants_02cavgrouping8.jpg
    buckle_pants-wait-adjuster_on-pants_02cavgrouping8.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 6
OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was there different styles of these buckles? I'm just curious as why the buckle I pictured, has the other piece below the floating teeth.

Upvote 1

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are several variations of the buckle's basic form. I haven't previously seen one exactly like yours. The image below shows the original 1855 US Patent diagram for another version. The French produced the two-toothed floating bar version a few years later.
patent-diagram_buckle_vest-&-pantswaist-adjuster-strap-buckle_Hartshorn-1955-Patent13218_TN_ph...jpg

Upvote 4

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find KS, your buckle looks to be a very early version of a pants buckle. :thumbsup:
Great historical patent info provided by ThecannonballGuy.

Here's an example I found years ago, similar to the buckle design TCG describes.
Dave

1871 Pants Buckle.jpg

Upvote 4

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm going to slightly disagree, as it doesn't look stamped to me, I'm going older - late 18th C.

Upvote 3
Solution
OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not sure, but buckle looks casted or hot formed of some sort to my eye. I really love this buckle cause you rarely dig them complete it seems. The green patina too is just awesome, my pics dont seem to show. It would be awesome if it was from a 1780's-1800 time period. Thanks everyone!

Upvote 1

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's what led me to deduce KSDirtfisher's buckle is stamped-brass rather than cast. Closely examining the photo, I see what SEEMS to be brown iron-rust at the junction between each of the centerbar's components. That rust strongly indicates the brass components of the bar are hollow stamped-brass, and are mounted on an iron crosspin which bisects the buckle's rectangular frame. I'll acknowledge, the frame may be cast. But the "working parts" seem to be stamped-brass.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's what led me to deduce KSDirtfisher's buckle is stamped-brass rather than cast. Closely examining the photo, I see what SEEMS to be brown iron-rust at the junction between each of the centerbar's components. That rust strongly indicates the brass components of the bar are hollow stamped-brass, and are mounted on an iron crosspin which bisects the buckle's rectangular frame. I'll acknowledge, the frame may be cast. But the "working parts" seem to be stamped-brass.
Yeah it does have a iron cross pin, it looks like metal pin has been possibly hammer forged on the ends. The buckle & the 2 teeth appear to be cast. The other piece, opposite of the teeth, might be stamped Im not sure. Let me try & clean it a bit by soaking it & using a tooth brush.

Upvote 2

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had plenty of tubular construction 18th C buckles with iron pin inserts.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread