Buckle up, here we go!

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
general Election at height of Hurricane Season???

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:skullflag::skullflag::skullflag:
I vote to reinstate the pirate Republic !! AAARRRGGHH !!

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
He’s buying rum stocks and shares is our Bart!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a GO DEEP subject! :coffee2:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well....here we go again is right....PLP it is....I guess !!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here we go...

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you're talking about TD 18 it's not coming anywhere near Florida.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magoopeter...I believe Mr. Pateman is bahamamike here on t-net. Not sure if he is back in an official capacity with government since the current elections. Perhaps he will say hello here and fill us in on what's going on latley concerning treasure permits. The video is very telling, and makes it easy to see why permitting is so controversial from government to government. Make no mistake there is digging on the marivillia as we speak !! So some things are happening !!

Last edited:

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mr. Pateman

Magoopeter...I believe is bahamamike here on t-net. Not sure if he is back in an official capacity with government since the current elections. Perhaps he will say hello here and fill us in on what's going on latley concerning treasure permits. The video is very telling, and makes it easy to see why permitting is so controversial from government to government. Make no mistake there is digging on the marivillia as we speak !! So some things are happening !!

I tend to agree with Mike in principle, but we can?t all be lumped into a collective called, treasure hunters, some of the archaeological community are very abusive and discriminate in the way they refer to shipwreck explores and divers as treasure hunters, it is very insulting to call a person and label them with a slang word, I fell treasure hunting has become a word that people use in a derogatory manner.
How every I cant say that Mike is using the words treasure hunter in that manner, I think he is spot on here, what was done in the way he describes was wrong, it was not only smash and grab it disrespected the nation of the Bahamas in the worst way imaginable everyone deserves their share.
Maravillas today, I believe this is a controlled excavation and there will be a proper records and an archive of artefacts, with publication and a museum display , there is a museum being built I believe to house artefacts from the Maravillas?
There is a world of opportunity for the Bahamas that could be derived from UCH, Mikes mention of heritage tourism is not to be taken lightly around 24 billion $ is spent in the Caribbean by tourists each year.
There does need to be a recognition that the UNESSCO UCH policy is flawed it is not the most beneficial policy to society or the best policy for shipwrecks there are models that could be used that allowed for the sale of artifacts.
Historical wreck sites have a huge benefit in the way of information and education that is lost if they are kept in situ on the seabed, that benefit is also lost if archaeological methods are not used and the information is not recorded, so there needs to be a coming together of people who want to commercially exploit shipwrecks and those who want to make sure the archaeological record is not lost.
I was lucky enough to work with some of the world?s best archaeologists for me the Mary Rose and the t,Vliegent hart was the beginning of maritime archaeology both were based on different funding strategies.
The t,Vliegent Harts case commercial shipwreck explores joined forces with archaeologist, it worked, shipwreck were excavated investors got returns , government got 20% of the profit?s archaeologist were employed and more importantly had shipwrecks to excavate, even students got the chance to have hands on experience.
Artifacts of historical importance were recovered, that I believe would not have been the case if it was purely commercial venture. The Dutch museums are full of artifact from such excavation and there is now a huge amount for information for students to study. The Pity is that now archaeologist have to make a case that a shipwreck is at risk before they can excavate the wreck, and the public pays.
The way things are going today is lot to do with ego, s of some archaeologists , many have advised on policy and ring fenced shipwrecks for their own benefits, most of the early shipwreck explores cannot be blamed, after all there was no rules to play by then, but some quite clearly are to blame for the situation we find ourselves in today, as Mike has pointed out.
After covid people deserve to have a chance at following their dreams, if they play by the rules but those rules need to fair for everyone.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what comments I've read of Bill Black on FB, their artifacts are well documented and researched/studied/photographed by an archaeologist. That's not in the Bahamas, so it apparently doesn't count. To me it is not fair for Mike to say, "shipwreck hunters in general don't publish any info on artifact finds." Or telling them he is debunking the myth about "good treasure hunters" which is generalizing the behavior of a large group of individuals.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread