Buddy!

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
My 1999 signed poster of living Blues legend Buddy Guy.

I drove to chicago in the fall of 99' from MN.I went down to Buddy's bar, I think it was called Legends?
It was too cool, signed guitars from all the greats like Stevie Ray Vaughn and Eric Clapton to name a few.
But then Buddy comes strolling in and I think, Wow....he looks a lot bigger on stage.
He couldn't find a place to sit so he came up behind me and asked to use my chair being I was leaning on the bar "putting the vibe out"
He ended up sitting just behind me. It was cool, I felt like I had him to myself in a way.
Well, in a way accept for the long line of people forming to have their chance to meet him too.
It was quite convenient having him right there like that. Any time the line would die down to nothing, all I had to do was spin around to ask him a a few things as he had time. We talked about SRV and Johnny Lang.
He was a very nice, quite guy.... not what you might expect when you see him perform.

I was honored to bring his beer to him but, get this: he likes Heineken poured over Ice....Hmmm

Attachments

• buddy.jpg
    buddy.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 646

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I met him back in 1989 in Wichita, Kansas. I had never seen him play before, but had been reading about him for years in guitar magazines.
I brought a full-page ad by Ernie Ball strings that had his photo, and I got him to sign it.
He was really cool!

I finally saw him again here in Gnashville in August of 2005. He still kicks ass!

OP
OP
Wetgreenie

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
Did you ever notice he's really not that big of a guy but, Man he looks huge on stage!

A living legend, Too Cool.... 8)

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I have found throughout my life that it is always strange when meeting celebrities.

I am 6'-7", and anytime I meet famous people I usually have to look down on them.It always seems weird, especially if they have a 'larger than life' persona. The only two exceptions were when I met Jonathan Frakes (Number One on Star Trek: The Next Generation) while I was being shown around the Star Trek sets back in 1991. He is 6'-5". Kind of a pleasant surprise when he stood up. I said "Wow your'e TALL!", and he cracked up and said "You are too!".

Then back in 1986, I was a cab driver for awhile. The dispatcher sent me to a hotel to pick someone up. The door opens and this REALLY tall guy comes out and gets in my cab. Turned out he was Twiggy Sanders, famous basketball player for the Harlem Globetrotters. They were in town that day, and when he got out of my cab I had to get out too and stand next to him, as he is 7'-6". I told him "know I know how most people feel when they look up at me!".

Buddy Guy rules!

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Wetgreenie,

Went to Legends on a business trip to Chicago several years ago. I was staying about 3 blocks away, and went there a couple of times to listen to the excellent local musicians. The memorabilia was incredible.

Buddy was a no-show, unfortunately.

MP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread