Bugle Artist information help

LogansRun

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't find any information about this artist AE Bugle. Oil on canvas and is from an attic find. Any help appreciated. pottery 020.jpg pottery 022.jpg pottery 024.jpg pottery 025.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't a Tnet member when this was posted in 2018. No idea who 'A E Bugle' might be, but this appears to be a loose copy of a painting called "NOT Nancy" by the Florida artist Robert Reilly. His original is available from Saatchi Art for £22,755:

Reilly.jpg

There are subtle variations in the composition for the copy, and I would assume it to be amateur work from an artist that may be problematical to trace.

Prints are available too, for £148, but they have Reilly's signature at the bottom left as per the original.

Reilly2.jpg

Upvote 4

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. It’s been a while since you posted this, did you ever find out anything? I also have one from my families attic. Looking for information.

A little more....

Reilly is still alive and in his seventies. He said of this work: "A painting I once saw was called Nancy. My rendition of the recollection is called "NOT Nancy".

So, he was inspired by or copied it from someone else's work, but apparently from memory. If it's an inspiration or a copy from memory, the compositional similarities would be remarkable. So, it leaves the unanswered questions of who painted the 'original' (Bugle, or someone else?) and to what extent it resembles Reilly's later rendition.

Is yours also signed "A E Bugle"? And does it have the line running from the bow with seaweed hanging from it (which the Bugle painting has, and the Reilly painting does not)?

Upvote 2

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS: The stretcher bar for the canvas of the originally-posted painting has a 'Fredrix' product mark. The company was founded in New York City in 1868 by E. H. Friedrichs and still in business today. 'Fredrix' in that style is trademarked, with a claimed first use in commerce of 1925.

Upvote 2

GlowingArtist

Oct 8, 2022
Phoenix
i dont see gradation of texture showing actual brush strokes. I suspect it is a convincing print/mass produced copy of sorts. TJ Max or Marshalls? So no one can copy that well from memory. He must have signed off rights and this is a print you havem

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dont see gradation of texture showing actual brush strokes. I suspect it is a convincing print/mass produced copy of sorts. TJ Max or Marshalls? So no one can copy that well from memory. He must have signed off rights and this is a print you havem

It wouldn't be usual for mass-produced prints of that kind to be on a proper canvas stretcher from an established supplier of art materials.

if 'A E Bugle' is dead, the only possibility that came up from a search was Anna E Bugle of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, residing in Knoxville. She died in 2002, aged 84 but she doesn't seem to have a reputation as an artist. It's possible she was a recreational amateur who 'copied' a work which may or may not have been Reilly's painting (for which we don't have an actual date). Less likely that Reilly copied her work (and he certainly couldn't have produced such similarity from memory alone).

Since Reilly is still alive, he might be able to shed some light on the situation if someone cares to try and contact him via Saatchi... or maybe he has a facebook page. It would probably need a better image of Bugle's work but the OP hasn't been on the site since November last year.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple more versions of this work:

“Le Chalutier Fantôme” [The Ghost Trawler], oil on canvas, by Christine Mignot (from artmajeur.com). The boat has a bow-line with seaweed and an unreadable name on the prow, but it doesn’t seem to be ‘Nancy’. The artist is French, was born in 1959 and painted this sometime after 2004:
Artmajeur.jpg

“Grave Yard”, acrylic on canvas board, by Dorothy Nuckolls (from absolutearts.com). The boat has a bow-line with seaweed, but doesn’t have the ‘Nancy’ name (or any other name) on the prow. The artist is from Montgomery, Alabama and says she has been painting for about 30 years:
Absolutearts.jpg

Heaven knows who painted what could be termed the "original", or when, but it seems to have attracted a number of copyists.

Last edited:
Upvote 3

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all of the research, Red-Coat! It is interesting to see how many artists have created their own rendition of this painting.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions